Mon morn at Cockroach Bay

Flamingo to Big Bend
rugrat181
Supporter 2011 - 2014
Supporter 2011 - 2014

Mon morn at Cockroach Bay

Post by rugrat181 »

My report for Mon. morning. Paddled out of Cockroach Bay to the flats. Finally the bay was flat. Caught trout steady for about 2 hours. I counted 13 in the kayak and plenty of missed hits. Started with my fav. lure, a spook which worked well. Taking the advice of the exaulted ones I threw a gold spoon. Instant hookup !! Now I had to try some paddle tail baits. Also worked well.!! Musta been my lucky day.
The only question I have to add here is what keeps grabbing my soft baits and taking the tail off? Is it pinfish? And what do you about it other than carry a lot of baits.?

One more thing, when I got back a surveyor from FWC was there. I thought this is a good thing as far as a deterrent to thieves.
sorry, no pics. still trying to figure out to size the photo from my camera to fit here.
It's 5 o'clock somewhere. Let's celebrate !!

Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club"

Dave S
Heywood

Re: Mon morn at Cockroach Bay

Post by Heywood »

Blowfish.

You met Billy, aka Rampdog. Was Barney with him?
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
nemo327

Post by nemo327 »

I have been catching blowfish lately. They leave those scoops in soft baits, this could be the cause of your missing tails.
Cajun Welder

Post by Cajun Welder »

rugrat181 wrote: The only question I have to add here is what keeps grabbing my soft baits and taking the tail off?
I have had pinfish do it bad,but the worst yet and I caught about 30 of em at fort desoto is.....
LIZARDFISH
I caught one last week,a smaller lizard fish ate my gulp and a bigger lizard fish had all of the smaller one in his mouth besides his head.