New to Site

Introduce yourself. It all starts with your first post. Jump in, the water's fine.
joeysemo

New to Site

Post by joeysemo »

Hello fishing friends,

I have been poking around your site for a few days now and decided it was time to join. This site is full of useful information and seems to be a great place to exchange ideas among fellow yakers. I'm 28 years old and have lived in the bay area for 5 years now, and have been yaking on a regular basis for around 3 years. I own a house near the intersection of Ulmerton and 19, and have paddled as far south as the south shore of Tampa bay and as far north as the Chasawitska river to the north (Fishing isn't great, but I love paddling this river). I own a Hobie tandem but mostly go fishing by my lonesome, as my wife isn't fond of the salt water. Originally from St. Louis, I grew up fishing for bass and trout out of lakes and rivers, so the saltwater transition was extreme for me at first, however I think I'm "catching" on quite nicely.

I am very interested in joining your paddle fishing series at Weedon Island (I know I missed the first event). I have never competed in a fishing tournament before, however this seems like the type of competition that is for me. In reading some of the rules, I have a few questions:
1) Can an iPhone be used as your camera? (I do not own a digital camera)
2) Does your ruler/measuring tape need to be attached to your boat?
3) Are you allowed to use your cell phone while the tournament is in progress?

Joseph Knittel
Joseph Knittel
WOOT!
JoeS

Re: New to Site

Post by JoeS »

Welcome.....Come on out and join us forPFTS2 @Weedon......
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
BigFlyReel
Supporter 2011 - 2013

Post by BigFlyReel »

Welcome to the forum!
____

Native "Slayer Propel 13"
Native "Ultimate 12"
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

joeysemo wrote:I am very interested in joining your paddle fishing series at Weedon Island (I know I missed the first event). I have never competed in a fishing tournament before, however this seems like the type of competition that is for me. In reading some of the rules, I have a few questions:
1) Can an iPhone be used as your camera? (I do not own a digital camera)
2) Does your ruler/measuring tape need to be attached to your boat?
3) Are you allowed to use your cell phone while the tournament is in progress?

Joseph Knittel
Joseph-

First off, welcome to the site. Hope to see you at the next PFTS.

Let me answer your questions-

1-Tough call, owning an Iphone myself I want to say why not, they take good pics and you can certinaly zoom in but I don't know if we want to open up to that area of technology yet. It would really slow down the judging process and not all camera phones take great pictures. I am sure if you posted that you need a partner with a camera someone would surely step up. You can also buy a digi camera very cheap nowadays. We, the tournament committee, will have to look further into that question as it is very valid.

2-No it does not have to be attached but your kayak needs to be shown in each picture.

3-See Rule #8 here-

http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtop ... 39&t=28250" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
joeysemo

Post by joeysemo »

Todd,

I appreciate your quick feedback.

I have friend who is going to enter this tournament with me (another first timer), so it's good to know we can pair up and share a camera. Thanks for covering that question for me.

In regards to the cell phone rule.....what are the repercussions for answering/making a phone call? Disqualification from the day, or the series? I'm indifferent either way on this, as I see both sides of the argument here, however I just want to make sure I don't ruffle any feathers my first time out....I'm here just to meet new people.
Joseph Knittel
WOOT!
ZeroSix

Post by ZeroSix »

Joe -

Welcome. I think you have your questions answered and b/c I have firsthand experience I will offer the unsolicited advice that iPhones are not friendly with the "Saltwater App". At smartphone prices, you could have 2-3 waterproof digitals.... Just a thought.

And yes, you are correct - this is an awesome site with plenty of experience and friendly like-minded anglers.

Look forward to fishing with you.

Joe
“Buda! Wanna see the best thing about owning a Hobie???”

18 March - Eric Bell Memorial

Hobie Outback - Moss "Ole Blue"
Hobie Pro Angler - Dune "Big Phaddy"

Sr. Vice President ExPS-Elite -PFK-CaC