Anchor trolley questions

Have rigging questions or a good idea? Found a good fishing product? Tell us about it.
Ryanrocksfender

Anchor trolley questions

Post by Ryanrocksfender »

Hey everyone, after many months of frustration i finally decided to break down and build an anchor trolley! Im just wanting to get some input on some ideas. Should i build a full trolley that runs the length of the kayak? or a half trolley? also im going to be clipping the anchor with a carabiner directly to the trolley (I heard this is the safest way to do it) how much rope should i attach to my anchor?

Any input is appreciated, thanks guys!
Rik

Re: Anchor trolley questions

Post by Rik »

You'll get differing opinions on half versus full length trolley. I put a full length trolley on my first kayak. Won't do it again. I prefer a half length trolley for the simple reason that I never anchored with my anchor line out in front of me. That was the direction I was casting and the anchor and line just got it the way.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

And now that differing opinion Rik writes of. There are times when fly fishing I find it helpful to be able to have the front anchoring option when setting up on fish. Not essential but if you are going to put one on anyway what's another few feet and maybe an extra piece of hardware?
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
1okbyme2

Post by 1okbyme2 »

Full length, it's there if you need it.
"They paved paradise and put up a parking lot" Joni Mitchell
ZeroSix

Post by ZeroSix »

I have a full anchor trolley on both my kayaks and use the entire length enough to justify the extra materials.

For most of my fishing (artificial for Reds, Trout and Snook) when I do use the anchor system I use the front half as I want to be facing into the current/wind, casting up stream and working the baits back towards me as I think this looks more natural, at least I HOPE this to be true at this point in my life…

When I am floating live baits for tarpon I use the back half as I want the wind/current to my back so I can watch my baits more efficiently.

If you get 10 responses from the seasoned anglers on this site you will likely get 10 justifications for their choice.
The only thing I would ensure to use is a couple of “guides” on the bottom trolley line of a full length system so it will not ride up and will remain out of your way.

Hope this helps.
“Buda! Wanna see the best thing about owning a Hobie???”

18 March - Eric Bell Memorial

Hobie Outback - Moss "Ole Blue"
Hobie Pro Angler - Dune "Big Phaddy"

Sr. Vice President ExPS-Elite -PFK-CaC
BigFlyReel
Supporter 2011 - 2013

Post by BigFlyReel »

ZeroSix wrote: The only thing I would ensure to use is a couple of “guides” on the bottom trolley line of a full length system so it will not ride up and will remain out of your way.
These have worked well for me with several boats, with rivets, screws, and nut/bolt combos. Round part of the "P" up, and run the lower trolley line through a couple:

http://www.elecdirect.com/catalog/186cc ... 3bae3.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BFR
____

Native "Slayer Propel 13"
Native "Ultimate 12"
ZeroSix

Post by ZeroSix »

That is exactly what I use as well. Thank BR549 - I meant BFR!
“Buda! Wanna see the best thing about owning a Hobie???”

18 March - Eric Bell Memorial

Hobie Outback - Moss "Ole Blue"
Hobie Pro Angler - Dune "Big Phaddy"

Sr. Vice President ExPS-Elite -PFK-CaC
BigFlyReel
Supporter 2011 - 2013

Post by BigFlyReel »

ZeroSix wrote:That is exactly what I use as well. Thank BR549 - I meant BFR!
You callin' me Junior Samples?
____

Native "Slayer Propel 13"
Native "Ultimate 12"