Just Getting Started

Pmoconnor89

Just Getting Started

Post by Pmoconnor89 »

I'm not sure what the allure was for me, but for years now I have been kicking around the idea of fly fishing. I can say all I want that it stemmed from the countless times a docklight snook would pop on the disturbance my line caused on the surface as opposed to my shiny sparkly flashy 10 dollar lure that I was reeling in. However, I think the biggest draw for me is it is a relatively manly outlet for my arts and crafts tendencies to get revved up, as I began tying flies before I even purchased a rod. I am starting small with a 5 weight set up, and I am targeting bream and bass in the local canals and ponds. Hopefully for Christmas Santa will smile down on me with a nice 8 weight to embark on saltwater adventures, but for now, I will have my fun with bass and bream. Here is some of my early success:

My first bass, almost a two pounder! I got more of a thrill out of this one than any of the 5 pounders I have caught on spin, mainly since it ate a clump of deer hair and thread that I tied to a piece of a fan pull-chain and a hook.

My biggest bluegill yet, ate the same type of fly as the bass did just in a different color. Not two weeks in and I am already developing "go-to" flies...

Does anybody have any tips or pointers for targeting bass and bream on fly, especially from a kayak? I'm going to try to put together an outing at one of the area lakes or rivers and write up a report for the destinations section. As long as I can catch some fish, that is.
HeavyD

Re: Just Getting Started

Post by HeavyD »

Welcome to fly fishing. It started out as a relaxing hobby for me then became more obsessed. I am currently down to 7 flyrods from about a dozen I had. I have from 5wt. to 12 wt. I sold my 2 wt. and 4 wt. when I moved back to Florida from Vermont. You can use that 5 wt. in the salt for trout, smaller reds and the like. It just like using light action in freshwater. I also do my own tying and I must say I enjoy tying salt water flies better than freshwater except carp flies. I have tied down to a size 24 for trout, but it is easier to tie bigger flies. Carp are absolutely a ball on a fly rod, they are as fun as redfish. I have taken king salmon up to about 35 pounds on a fly. My next thing is to catch tarpon and sharks on a fly.
There are no limits, except for the ones we put on ourselves.

Practice catch and release