Launches in Tarpon Springs area?

Shallow Minded

Launches in Tarpon Springs area?

Post by Shallow Minded »

I have a friend in the Tarpon springs area who's been kayak fishing in a few local lakes for a while, but has never done saltwater fishing. I'd like to take him fishing somewhere near Tarpon springs, but I'm not too familiar with the area. Any suggestions for a good area to take him/place to launch?

Since this will be his first saltwater trip I'm looking for an area with low boat traffic. Planning on going out Sunday morning. Going to try to find a few trout, but he would probably even get a kick out of a few good ladyfish.

Thanks
GILs_GONE_WILD

Re: Launches in Tarpon Springs area?

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

Pop Stansell's comes to mind to the south of Tarpon Springs. Green Key and Brasher Park to the north. I think you can launch somewhere near the Anclote River bridge .... someone else can verify that.

There's more I'm sure, just can't think of them off the top of my head.

Oh yeah, just north of Pop Stansel's there Sutherland Bayou Boat Ramp. $5 to lauch a boat there. I assume it's the same for kayak/canoe.
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
rugrat181
Supporter 2011 - 2014
Supporter 2011 - 2014

Post by rugrat181 »

You might want to check out Fred Howard Park. You can park on the south side of the causeway and launch on either side. don't know about boat traffic on the weekend cause I stay home till Mon. or Tues (work, dammit)
Good luck.
It's 5 o'clock somewhere. Let's celebrate !!

Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club"

Dave S
ZeroSix

Post by ZeroSix »

The causeway going out to Honeymoon Island - left side just before the last bridge. Easy access and there is a nice flat directly in front of it that gets fed from Hurricane cut.

Traffic may be intense around the bridge but you should be good-to-go.

Joe
“Buda! Wanna see the best thing about owning a Hobie???”

18 March - Eric Bell Memorial

Hobie Outback - Moss "Ole Blue"
Hobie Pro Angler - Dune "Big Phaddy"

Sr. Vice President ExPS-Elite -PFK-CaC
Tree-Bone

Post by Tree-Bone »

There are 2 launches up by the Anclote power plant in Pasco.
The first is into the Anclote river from the park south of the plant. Heavy boat traffic !
Better choice is the park just north of the plant where you launch at the pier and into the runoff canal. Short paddle to fish north or south.
chrisw

Post by chrisw »

You can also launch at crystal beach.