tarpon spotted!

Flamingo to Big Bend
nemo327

tarpon spotted!

Post by nemo327 »

While fishing off Honeymoon Island north of Dunedin causeway I saw multiple Tarpon rolling along the drop off of the no motor zone. Most were @30 inch several were 4' or more. These estimates based on the 5 second glimpse as they rolled and the distance between the dorsal fin and tail. One rolled within 10 ft. of my kayak so I got a good look. The big ones were rolling at the north end of the no motor zone. I have never caught a Tarpon except by accident, good luck.
Redman0421

Re: tarpon spotted!

Post by Redman0421 »

I've never fished Honeymoon Island before, but this sounds real interesting. Where is the no motor zone there? Any recommended launch spots?
Thanks,
Red
"Hey now Partner- that wasn't very nice."
nemo327

Post by nemo327 »

You can launch anywhere along the causeway. I recommend the south side near the last bridge. There is a sandy beach there. The No Motor zone is marked by telephone poles along the edge of the flat. I paddle under the bridge to get to Honeymoon island. The tides are strong here and if the wind opposes the tide it can get sporty. On windy days avoid the bridge and launch on the north side of the causeway. The fist size rocks can be a challenge but not a real obstacle.
Urban Legend II

Post by Urban Legend II »

Nemo, you didn't even take one swing at them? Couldn't have been me..... Thanks for the info.
Hobie Pro Angler 14

"Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job"
nemo327

Post by nemo327 »

I cant afford to replace braid after being spooled. I use 10 lb test and there is only 150 yds on my spool.