Homemade Native seat riser

Have rigging questions or a good idea? Found a good fishing product? Tell us about it.
Rik

Homemade Native seat riser

Post by Rik »

Have determined - with Daves prodding - that the PVC route is just plain heavy. Experimenting now with an $8 glued styrofoam design using styrofoam wall insulation. I'm worried it doesn't have enough compression resistance.

Found this:

http://www.foambymail.com/Minicel.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Two guys could buy a 4' x 6' sheet of 1" thick for $64.99 (free shipping)

Cut it into 12" x 18" rectangles (you'd get 12 of them) and then glue 6 of them together. Or 5 if you didn't want to go as high. The Native riser is 11" x 18" x 6" minicell wrapped in nylon.

One sheet would make two risers for $32.50 each. A third the price of the Native riser.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Re: Homemade Native seat riser

Post by Manning »

Okay... I am only going to say this one more time. Cheapo foam boogie board. I have been using this for six months now and it has not compressed one bit. Have not re-taped it or anything.

Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
Rik

Post by Rik »

Steve,

I've not found them cheap.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

I know that new ones are a little pricey. Kind of put the word out here on the site and with friends that you are looking for and old foam boogie board. I bet the 10% of the garages in this area have one in it. I got mine for a buck at a my church rummage sale. Craigslist? http://sarasota.craigslist.org/for/2420319817.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Steve
MrSpectaculous

Post by MrSpectaculous »

I've tried the styro foam that was super heavy duty from a medical supply company. It did not compress but it did make a lot of noise when I moved around. I can't say for sure because I did not get hits from some near by reds in our out of the boat. It did squeak like hell when getting in and out.
I think I can dance.
Bill
Ultimate 14.5
Purple Emotion GS
MrSpectaculous

Post by MrSpectaculous »

Next up to experiment with is a tempur pedic pillow.
I think I can dance.
Bill
Ultimate 14.5
Purple Emotion GS
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

MrSpectaculous wrote:I've tried the styro foam that was super heavy duty from a medical supply company. It did not compress but it did make a lot of noise when I moved around. I can't say for sure because I did not get hits from some near by reds in our out of the boat. It did squeak like hell when getting in and out.

No squeaks from my boogie board material. Have you tried wrapping your foam material in something? Just put it in an old pillowcase and see if that helps.

Steve
Rik

Post by Rik »

Maybe I'm just enjoying the therapy of tinkering about......

I made that styro riser but glued sheets of very thin ply (hey, I could probably use that thin ply that's been sitting in the corner for a couple years!) on each side to avoid squeaks. Put it in and had the perfect height. Then I found that with just the center support on top of the tunnel (same dimensions as the Native riser), the seat wobbled from side to side a bit. The trashman just took it.

Going back to the PVC pipe route but shortening the big pipes to lose some weight. Gonna figure out a lightweight cross beam. Besides, I liked the PVC pipes, nice place to store a water bottle and a drift chute.

Yeah, I know Steve. You're just biting your tongue until you can say "I told you so".