HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Have rigging questions or a good idea? Found a good fishing product? Tell us about it.
bassboy

HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Post by bassboy »

I would like to hang the kayak in the garage preferebly on the wall but the house was built in 68 rebar everywhere. The ceiling is another option any help?
Long Range Provider

Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Long Range Provider »

Dicks, bass pro, bill jacksons for the simple fix of mounting to the ceiling or look at some of the rigs people have posted here. No matter what construction, younshould be able to drill into the wall and mount anything to it. Or 2x4's and liquid nails is always an option for vertical supports and then nail or screw any number of wall mounting options.
The tug is my drug.. But it's the scream that I dream
skinnywater

Post by skinnywater »

Bassboy, you should be able to drill around the rebar. If you can see the horizontal and vertical mortar joints in the block, try to place the anchors in the center of the block. You can also use a Tapcon type fastener, it looks like a blue screw. With these, you only need an inch or so into the block which should keep you clear of the rebar. Just make sure to use the correct drill bit for the tapcon, and if possible get the tapcons with the 5/16" hex head, they are much easier to install.
Kevin

"Am I missing and eyebrow?" - Adam Savage
Rik

Post by Rik »

I have mine hung from the ceiling of the garage. While your walls are block, your ceiling has wood joists which will easily take big screw eyes. The big problem with the ceiling in most garages is clearance for the garbage door. Make sure you have enough distance with the garage door fully open.

I get mine up in a two stage process. For each kayak, I have two long loops of webbing to get them halfway up. Put the stern in a loop, then lift the bow into it's loop. These loops are fixed and never get adjusted or unhooked. From the bed of the truck to these loops is a couple feet. Once in those loops, I have another set of straps with hooks on the end. Push up one end, wrap the strap under the kayak and hook the strap into a screw eye, Push the other, hook the screw eye and it's done.

I didn't want to mess with pulleys. Doing it this way I never have to lift the full weight of the kayak and the most I have to lift either end is just a couple feet.

I'd put up pics but Erick would have a heart attack looking at them.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by ChrisR »

Chris,

I used these, http://www.basspro.com/Kayak-Wall-Cradl ... 4/-1336203 with tapcons like skinnywater described. I used longer ones to accomodate the width of the pipe, but would go with whatever size gets you 1"-1 1/4" into the concrete. I used a hammer drill for the pilot holes, but was able to avoid rebar pretty easily by not going too deep into the concrete. Good luck.
chewbaka1973

Post by chewbaka1973 »

bassboy wrote:I would like to hang the kayak in the garage preferebly on the wall but the house was built in 68 rebar everywhere. The ceiling is another option any help?
I suggest you look over this thread

http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtop ... sc&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I put together a pulley system in my garage with pictures.
Chewy
Use the force and your drag.........
Tight Lines!

2008 Hobie Revolution Mirage( Hobie-Wan Kenobi )
Native Ultimate 14.5 Tandem Olive