Trip to Fort Desoto

Urban Legend II

Trip to Fort Desoto

Post by Urban Legend II »

Greetings,
As a change of pace, from fishing the IRL, a couple friends and I are planning a kayak trip to fish in the Tampa/St. Pete area during the next full moon in search of whatever's biting and we have been doing some extensive research on fishing Mullet Key. We have Fished Tampa Bay before, but with a charter CAPT targeting Reds(which really doesn’t count). We know most people don’t want to volunteer secret spots for obvious reasons, so I would ask “in general” for anyone that fishes Mullet Key area are there any key pointers that you are willing to share, tides, baits, areas to avoid, etc… (is it worth it to try it out because we don’t see any reports on that area?) except on the Average Angler's Fishing show once! Thanks for any help.......
Hobie Pro Angler 14

"Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job"
seeinred

Re: Trip to Fort Desoto

Post by seeinred »

The trout and flounder bite has been excellent in Mullet Key lately. The redfish bite has not been that stellar, seems the majority of the fish are further in the bay and scattered.

The low tide will give you plenty of opportunities; behind the campgrounds, along the sandbar that drops off into a large hole (bomb hole) in the middle of the bayou, and the western shoreline are all good places to check. On low tide you may get an opportunity at tailing redfish, I've been throwing topwaters and weightless-weedless jigs for these fish. They have been extra spooky lately due to the clarity of the water so be sure to go light on your leader... no more than 20#.
For more kayak fishing reports, tips, and fishing charters please visit;
http://tampabaykayakcharters.com/

Spencer
americanrobster

Post by americanrobster »

seeinred wrote:The trout and flounder bite has been excellent in Mullet Key lately. The redfish bite has not been that stellar, seems the majority of the fish are further in the bay and scattered.
I was just out fishing last Thursday with Damion (Flatstalker), and we caught a few trout and flounder along the channels. You can't go wrong fishing the "bomb holes" either.
Rob

Heritage Redfish 12'

Heritage Redfish 14'
DavidtheProducer

Post by DavidtheProducer »

I would try out the Weedon Island area...and keep reading this site and you'll see some reports that will help you make your decision on where to go
Urban Legend II

That's definitely good info. Thanks fellas, I figure with the temps warming up as long as there are baitfish in the area, we got a good chance at making something happen. Bottom line is we are fishing til we find something.
Hobie Pro Angler 14

SRQGator
Grocery Yodeler

Post by SRQGator »

Urban Legend II wrote:...during the next full moon...
I'm of the belief that flats fishing, during the day, is less productive around the full moon.
1 1 12?
Urban Legend II

SRQGator,

You care to expand on your theory?
Hobie Pro Angler 14

Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Urban Legend II wrote:SRQGator,

You care to expand on your theory?

When there is a full moon at night the flats are lit up and the fish can eat all night long. I also find fishing after a full moon to not be as productive. For instance, the shrimp runs are all based off full moons, the fish have active shrimp all night long during those times.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
seeinred

Post by seeinred »

When fishing during a full moon, be sure to take notice of when the moon sets and rises. Often this will be sometime in the early morning (sets) and can often mean the end of the bite... likewise, in the evening when the moon rises you can still find yourself with a few hours of day light. If planned right, you can still find productive fishing around a full moon during the day. Albeit, I've had some of my best days ever in the middle of the day during a full moon.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the tides are best three days before, and three days after the full moon. Try to plan your trip as far away from the moon as possible while still keeping in the range of good tides.

Don't be scared to try fishing the flats at night during the full moon either, though this time of year is less productive as warmer months, fish will still feed throughout the night and a big moon really does light the water up.

Hope this helps.
For more kayak fishing reports, tips, and fishing charters please visit;
http://tampabaykayakcharters.com/

Spencer
Urban Legend II

"I see," said the blind man. I guess it is possible to teach an old dog new tricks.

These have been some pretty good points, appreciate the time and effort.
Hobie Pro Angler 14