Sarasota Bay Mono clean up

Here is a place to talk about our Environmental Concerns.
Rik

Sarasota Bay Mono clean up

Post by Rik »

2nd Annual Monofilament Cleanup Day

Boaters we need your help!

Each year, thousands of feet of fishing line become entangled on Sarasota Bay’s bird nesting islands and shorelines and pose a fatal hazard to birds and other wildlife. This cleanup event helps to reduce the threat of entanglement while recycling the fishing line.

All volunteers will meet at 8 AM at Save our Seabirds Sanctuary, 1708 Ken Thompson Parkway on City Island to go over the clean-up instructions and receive their equipment, data sheets and maps. Additionally, volunteers will be instructed on how to free entangled live birds they may encounter during the cleanup and where to transport the injured bird. When the volunteers have completed the cleanup, they will return to Save our Seabirds Sanctuary to turn in all equipment and data sheets. Refreshments will be provided.

The Second Annual Monofilament Cleanup Day, sponsored by Sarasota Bay Watch, Audubon of Florida, and Save Our Seabirds.

When: November 6th, 2010 8:00 AM through 12:00 PM
Location: Save Our Sea Birds Sanctuary, 1708 Ken Thompson Parkway, City Island (next to Mote), Sarasota, FL
Phone: 941-953-5333
Email: [email protected]

Online Registration: CLICK HERE
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
shallow pockets

Re: Sarasota Bay Mono clean up

Post by shallow pockets »

The MCFF tournament is on that sat.
Jackson Kayak Pro Staff
DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

Shouldn't be too much to clean up since everyone uses braid these days :scratch: .. :lol:

Rik, do you think they'll have room for everyone who wants to participate in this event?
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.
Rik

Post by Rik »

Got me, Mark. I registered hoping they'll assign me to a kayak friendly location. I think I'll take all the popping corks I find to the flea market..... BTW, there is almost as much as when people used mono. It's just longer pieces now since they cut it off.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

I signed up, looks like a good cause and I need all the mojo I can get :cool:

DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

Report from other thread

This was a cool event but more like a meeting due to the weather. The meeting included a combined effort with Sarasota Bay Watch and the Audubon of Florida. I learned many new things about current and past local efforts for clean up and conservation. This group is very motivated and positioned to grow. I was influenced and look forward to helping them evolve. They also want to work more with Paddle-Fishing as we all have mutual benefits from the same tasks to be performed, discussions included a potential training session on safely(For you and the animals) handling birds who are caught in fishing lines and trying to release them,(Todd, I thought a sip and pic might be a good opportunity?) They have a powerful message and the education provided is very beneficial for everyone who enjoys being on the water. I've got a good bit of literature they provided me with and I'll get w/ Rik about seeing how he'd like to share it.

Here is a key one tho, If you see a bird struggling and fear conducting a liberation effort for the bird, contact the Save our Seabirds @ 941-388-3010. They recommend not trying to release the bird yourself without one of their more in-depth training sessions. I know their based in Sarasota but I believe if you are in another county, they can help get in touch with the right people.

I'm glad I went, meet some good people including Lee of SOS, Ann of AOF and Rusty N' Pierre of Sarasota Bay Watch. Good people, good message, good times.

DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

Somebody(not me) found some goodies while cleaning up. Spruce up your tackle box while saving our environment.