Suggestion for fishing

Flamingo to Big Bend
zier20

Suggestion for fishing

Post by zier20 »

Headed out to fish tuesday next week from a kayak. Where do you suggest to fish that will be easy to get to and fish from. New at this and looking for some calm waters with good fishing. Thanks in advance.

FYI looking for something in Clearwater,Dunedin, St pete Area.
dunfly

Re: Suggestion for fishing

Post by dunfly »

Unless we have stong winds from the north or northeast, I would fish behind Caladesi or Honeymoon Island. The launch off the Dunedin Causeway is the best and safest in the County.
“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste....” — Rahm Emanuel
"Freedom!" - Sir William Wallace
Who is John Galt?
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

dunfly wrote:Unless we have stong winds from the north or northeast, I would fish behind Caladesi or Honeymoon Island. The launch off the Dunedin Causeway is the best and safest in the County.

Ft Desoto is pretty good and safe also. Numerous places to launch there.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
zier20

Post by zier20 »

I was researching Ft Desoto and Weedon Island. Any suggestions on where to put in.

Weedon Island from the dock or from Gandy. And how far do I go.
Ft Desoto I thought about hitting the mangroves prior to the entrance on the north side.

My question is for those two spots how far do I have to go out to get into some good fishing.

Sorry never been to both areas. Thanks,
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

zier20 wrote:Weedon Island from the dock or from Gandy. And how far do I go.
Ft Desoto I thought about hitting the mangroves prior to the entrance on the north side.
Weedon, either or, depends on the tide and the winds. How far do you go? Until you see fish :lol: From inside the park you do not have to go far when you start fishing.

Ft Desoto-North side? It is either east or west side. Both are good, again depending on tide and wind.
zier20

Post by zier20 »

What tide and wind should I be looking for.
Rik

Post by Rik »

You know, people always ask this. If you are like most people, you really don't have a choice of days or time. So you fish when you can. You say you have Tuesday. Well, pick a spot (Ft. Desoto is a good choice for newbie and experienced) and go fish. Take lots of pictures. Pay attention to water movement. Wear sunscreen. Don't wait until you are tired before starting to paddle back. Turn your cell phone off. Observe everything around you.

And remember one very important thing that has been used so many times it almost sounds stupid but is still very true - it's called fishing not catching. Some of the absolute best days I've had out on the water have been days that I didn't catch a single fish.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
americanrobster

Post by americanrobster »

Fort Desoto is a great place to fish and that is where I was first shown the sport of kayak fishing 6 years ago.
Rob

Heritage Redfish 12'

Heritage Redfish 14'
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

americanrobster wrote:Fort Desoto is a great place to fish and that is where I was first shown the sport of kayak fishing 6 years ago.
6 years and you have not caught a red on the west coast of FL? Rob, I really need to take you fishing. :wink:
americanrobster

Todd wrote:6 years and you have not caught a red on the west coast of FL? Rob, I really need to take you fishing. :wink:
You have to remember that it is very hard to fish when you work out of town and have a job that you put in serious hours at. 6 years ago, I was that guy and now that I work for myself, I have more time for fishing when things are slow. Now that the cooler weather is here, I do want to get out and get back to enjoying one of my many hobbies again.
Rob

Heritage Redfish 12'

Heritage Redfish 14'
ratherbefishin

Post by ratherbefishin »

One other suggestion. Search out launches and areas you want to fish on GoogleEarth, concentrate on transitions, holes, sand bars, troughs, grass with sand holes, cuts between mangrove islands, etc. That way you have some idea of areas to cover as opposed to blindly fishing unproductive water.

Good luck, be safe and enjoy.
Curt

Well, hell, SOMEBODY has to catch lizardfish.
zier20

Post by zier20 »

I appriciate it, I plan on trying Weedon Island from inside the park on Tuesday. Thanks.
zier20

Post by zier20 »

Nothing all day (9-2pm) at Weedon Island from inside the park (used Darts, Skitter walk, and gold spoon). BUt still had fun for first kyak fishing trip.
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

Todd wrote:
6 years and you have not caught a red on the west coast of FL? Rob, I really need to take you fishing.

You have to remember that it is very hard to fish when you work out of town and have a job that you put in serious hours at. 6 years ago, I was that guy and now that I work for myself, I have more time for fishing when things are slow. Now that the cooler weather is here, I do want to get out and get back to enjoying one of my many hobbies again.
Rob ..if you can't hook up with Todd because of a scheduling conflict simply let me know a day or so ahead..get some silver minnow soons in 1/4 and I'll take to where Todd would anyway... :wink:
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

zier20 ....what ratherbefishin said!!! Saltwater fishing is very similar to fresh except for tidal movement. Transition points and structure IMO are they keys to catching fish. not that I know anything about catching fish
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
americanrobster

mauso1 wrote:Rob ..if you can't hook up with Todd because of a scheduling conflict simply let me know a day or so ahead..get some silver minnow soons in 1/4 and I'll take to where Todd would anyway... :wink:
Thank you for the offer sir. :wink:
Rob

Heritage Redfish 12'

Heritage Redfish 14'