Native Ultimate 12

If you use one that is listed, please add a review. If a kayak or canoe that you would like to give a review of is not listed, please add it. This is also where you can show off your boat.
TexasDan

Native Ultimate 12

Post by TexasDan »

Native Ultimate 12
Length: 12'-1 "
Width: 30"
Weight: 55 lbs.
Weight capacity: 350 lbs.

I got a Native Ultimate 12 kayak and was ready to give it a full test of weekend fishing. This kayak was everything I hoped for and more. I bought the Ultimate 12 primarily for the comfort of the seat. It is great. Yes I agree it is not as fast as my Grand Slam, but I was looking for comfort and not speed. The budget I had the U12 was right for me. In my short time in this sport that’s the most important thing to me. This kayak turns on a dime. It is very stable. Just after the weekend I could stand up and get down pretty easy. I am not yet ready to pick up the pole yet while standing, but I think I will get there pretty soon.

Day 1 No Rudder Skeg Only:
I found out that the boat tracks very well with the skeg. Without the skeg it goes everywhere, but my GS did the same until I put the rudder on. Paddling was a little harder. I think that was a combination of things. Shorter, higher sides, some wind and tide. I do remember on every trip with my other kayaks the paddle back was the worst. Now after 4 to 6 hours of fishing it felt like I just got in the kayak for the first time. Before I bought the U12 I bought the GTS Pro seat and was not happy with it.

Day 2 with COD Rudder:
I installed my COD rudder on my U12 and it tracked like I was on rails. Fishing straight is great. If you have a skeg then I don’t really think you need the rudder, but I had it already so what the hell. I put it on. All I can say now is I love this kayak even more.

All in all I would give this kayak a 9 of 10. The U12 fits best for the everyday fishing I do. I would recommend the Native Ultimate 12 to anyone, but like I was told and everyone that you ask will tell you to test allot of kayaks before you buy. I recommend that you try to test one out for a full day or at least a few hours if you can. That will help you tell if you like it.

Last edited by TexasDan on Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
JoeS

Re: Native Ultimate 12

Post by JoeS »

See, Dan like I told you......the 14.5 is the current fad....... but the U12 is the bomb(more versatile) :cheers: .......Good Luck with her.... :wink:
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Re: Native Ultimate 12

Post by ChrisR »

Nice lookin boat Dan. Congrats on your new ride.