RTM Key Largo Review

If you use one that is listed, please add a review. If a kayak or canoe that you would like to give a review of is not listed, please add it. This is also where you can show off your boat.
Devodud

RTM Key Largo Review

Post by Devodud »

I finally took the plunge and upgraded from my tired old canoe.

I bought a new 14' RTM K-Largo Package

It came with a 2 piece adjustable paddle, a cheap seat, an anchor system, adjustable foot pegs, 4 flush mount rod holders, 1 scotty rod holder, and an extra scotty flush mount on the right side for bait chunking.

The anchor system is simple, there is a place for the anchor line to run out of the bow, then the anchor line runs through a "quick-cleat" and into the cockpit. When you are not anchored you pull the anchor up tight to the bow and cleat it.

The boat has two dry storage hatches (I did my best to run water over them and they are actually water tight). One is behind the seat, and the other is behind the front tankwell. The hatch behind the seat has a bungee cord for securing a plano tackle box on top.

Inside of both of the dry hatches are large red bags that can be removed.

There is a large removable dry storage bin on the front instead of a hatch. I prefer this to the traditional hatch because I can remove the bin and not worry about a hatch leaking and filling the boat with water in heavy waves and surf. The tankwell has 2 scupper holes when the bin is removed.

The rear tankwell has a 2 scupper holes and is shaped to easily fit a milk crate.

The cockpit has a 2 scupper holes, 2 scupper stoppers, a cup holder, 1 large square recess that can be used to hold tackle (or bait), a small recess with a bungee cord for securing a small plano tackle box, a recess on the gunwale to set your paddle on, there are recesses on along both sides of the boat complete with bungee cords to secure you paddle, there is a ruler molded into the cockpit for measureing fish, a scotty rod holder, a scotty flush mount on the right gunwale, there is a recess on the left gunwale for another scotty flush mount (or for whatever you wanna put there), and there are adjustable foot rests.

I found that everything in the cockpit worked as it was intended. I needed to fully extend the foot rests to make them comfortable (I'M 6ft 1in tall), the scotty is not a stretch to reach.

The provided seat and paddle may have been cheap, but for me they work like a charm. The paddle propels the kayak with speed and ease that make my canoe feel like the titanic. The boat will turn around with eases, yet it tracks better than I am used too.

The K-Largo is also way more stable than my canoe could have ever hoped to have been. I can stand up, spin-around, jump, dive off of, slide off of, sit side-ways (or backward), and reach all they way to the back of the rear tankwell or front of the front tankwell and never even make the boat even lean to one side.

The K-Largo is a heavy boat (~70lbs) but when you learn how to load it it is not hard. I can load the boat onto my homemade truck rack with ease.

Fishing from the boat is a breeze. I have only had the kayak for 2 days so only freshwater excursions just yet but I have pulled several smal bass from heavy cover already.

I am very happy with my new fishing machine. It seems to be way better than my previous way of doing things, time will tell.
If you're gunna be stupid, you gotta be tough!!
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Re: RTM Key Largo Review

Post by ChrisR »

Nice review. I have not seen that boat before. It looks nice. Congrats on your new boat.
Devodud

Post by Devodud »

I took it out into some pretty big surf today and it did really good. I am impressed by how much better the kayak is over my canoe.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Anchor off the bow? Not sure how well that will work?
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Rik

Post by Rik »

Todd wrote:Anchor off the bow? Not sure how well that will work?
Plus, doesn't the anchor bang the kayak while paddling in chop?

There are some interesting features on that kayak. Someone was thinking - but not all the way on a couple of them. That 'tray' in the cockpit is a nice feature but, IMO, needs some type of lid so it isn't full of water all the time.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Devodud

Post by Devodud »

You are right the tray in cockpit does fill with water, but it is not big enough to cause any problems.

The anchor actually works really well the way its is, i actually had it like that on my canoe.

The "quick cleat" thing they have on there is in easy reach, and when the anchor is pulled tight up to the bow it does not make noise. A trolley would probably work better, but I dont really anchor much so it is staying the way it is.

Tried it in the surf yesterday and it worked great.

Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Post by Norm »

Yep, just like Rik I noticed the small well in the cockpit and wondered about it filling with water. Maybe you could find a large sponge that would fit there to catch some of the water. Would than be easy to just pull it out and squeeze it overboard. I too am not sure I would like that anchor out over the bow. Very interesting boat, and I kind of like the looks of the bow. Does that help keep you dryer in rough water by kicking the bow up better in an oncoming wave and what about hull slap...is it noisy? It does look very stable.
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld