Naples to West Palm and south, including the Keys
Tex@MIA

Post by Tex@MIA »

Last edited by Tex@MIA on Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bonefishwhisperer

Re: Quest for first Bonefish

Post by bonefishwhisperer »

none??? you must not have went to my reccommended area of Matheson :| .... luckily I happened to find 2 solid hrs worth...was fishing with Dave Olsen from the flyshop...he didnt hook up but his cast looked good...tough bite I guess...
Vivian knows more about the kayaking spots than anybody I know of...you will likely meet perch(Dave) with here or out there paddling like a madman both standing and sitting...he uses shrimp at times and chases bones...he would know the bait shops and info you are looking for...cant say if they speak the truth of course :silent: with me you never know...I could be fishing OR snipe hunting
Gen 9:2 "And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered." .... even God likes Dreads....
vivian

Post by vivian »

Tex it was great meeting you too!

Cordell, no we were fishing Deering as I had not been there since it closed last year. I will try Matheson next time keep up the good work and find them bones. I just don't know when it will turn around for Biscayne after that cold snap I notice a lot less baitfish, crabs, etc. Good to hear you are at least finding them.
Tex@MIA

Post by Tex@MIA »

Last edited by Tex@MIA on Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bonefishwhisperer

theres nothing at Chicken Key but tarpon and permit
Gen 9:2 "And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered." .... even God likes Dreads....
Tex@MIA

Post by Tex@MIA »

Last edited by Tex@MIA on Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tex@MIA

Post by Tex@MIA »

Last edited by Tex@MIA on Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vivian

Post by vivian »

Good for you Tex! Glad to know that someone is seeing some fish out there...it gives me hope.

It took me an entire summer season before I got a bonefish hook up. It will happen for you.
BlueTuna

Post by BlueTuna »

bonefishwhisperer wrote:theres nothing at Chicken Key but tarpon and permit
Darn! Thats all? :lol:

I have to make a trip - soon!

Good luck and I hope to see some good pics soon!
"There's no such word as can't" - Dad
David
DouGR81

Post by DouGR81 »

Oh no, how will we ever catch up when you have bonefish at your disposal now :mrgreen:
Hobie Fishing Team
2014 Hobie Oasis
Tex@MIA

Post by Tex@MIA »

Last edited by Tex@MIA on Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DouGR81

Post by DouGR81 »

I'm hoping to make a trip down to biscayne near the end of the month, been too busy off the water the past couple months I'm having major withdrawals. I will hit you up if I make it down there.
Hobie Fishing Team
2014 Hobie Oasis
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

Tex, good meeting you out on the water. That Deering area is one of my favorites on the Western side of the bay. Matheson probably has the best opportunity to see Bones, or recently out by Crandon on the Ocean side. Since the Big Chill there ain't been much of anything on the western side of B-Bay. Heck I can hardley even catch a Cuda, and you used to not be ablet to keep them off the top-water baits, you can now even use soft plastics where before the big chill you dared not toss any soft plastic you never got one back without it being shreeded by sharp teeth.

To catch a Bonefish is not as easy as it sounds you really need to put in the time, one or three trips.. does not entitle anyone to catch them. Seeing Bones is only the first part, getting the bait any where near one without spooking it, then you gots to get one to eat, after that its keeping then pinned and boatside.. qucik photo, revieve and relaeas as qucik as possible. Remember when you pull one out of the water, start holding your breath when you need air that fish needs to go back in the water.

If you guys who want one, really want one, either be prepared to put in the time, become very frustrated, of hire a guide.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
perch

Post by perch »

Tex,
Welcome to the 305 and reading the thread you have met all the "usual suspects".

Give me a pm and let me know when and where and I could join you as I am a teacher and have ALL day to fish but have not taken much advantage of it lately due to:
1. Watching World Cup Soccer games (didn't think of recording them and did not want to risk hearing score)
2. Wind!
3. Not wanting to drive anywhere and
4. Seeing that Cordell hasn't posted many bones pics and bay is pretty lifeless these days times I have gone out it is easier to play with the giant carp in my back yard canal.
5. Now excuse will be I have to see the Tour de France live.
6. I have sports ADD and cannot decide on any given day to run, bicycle, or kayak fish or drop everything when I get an invite to fish blue water!

If you met Viv then you met THE Zen master of kayak fishing and paddling and my proudest moment came when she told me how to get to choko and then black point and caught fish at both places along side her.

Second proudest moment was when I reported to Cordell a year after meeting him that I got my personal Holy Grail and caught a bone fish with a fly rod. (It didn't take a year to catch my first one with a spinning rig but it was a while and the fact that you saw cruising tales already is a good sign).

Best bet is to keep using live bait till you get the feel of the take and and progress up the tree to lures and best of all flies! (Cordell if you are read this I need to met you and get those culled flies as I am out:) Other place to get bait early is a place on us 1 before you get to 184th on right side. It is called B&F, from Thursday to Sunday am they are open 24 hours. The place you go to now is Hightailing.

Most recent report of a 29-inch bone being caught was in an area that required a skiff to get to. Not sure if it was bait or lure but for sure not fly rod and not on the west side flats.

Next weeks plans include FINALLY driving to Flamingo (been telling Viv and Krash I was headed that way for a week now).

By the looks of the tarpon pics you posted you have the go to area for tarpon dialed in near and around Key Biscayne, nice job. That beach makes a nice place to regroup after landing one of those dudes doesn't it?

Also if you are concentrating on Biscayne Bay check tides and know when they are low incoming here it is opposite at flamingo and choko so you always have options.

Tight lines,
Perch

PS...credit to TK also as he helped me navigate back way to coot bay and nice snook. (still have to get you my watches)
Tex@MIA

Post by Tex@MIA »

Last edited by Tex@MIA on Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bonefishwhisperer

Matheson was ON FIRE today...lots of bones and tarpon overkill for 3 good hrs...