HELP!! need advice fast

If you use one that is listed, please add a review. If a kayak or canoe that you would like to give a review of is not listed, please add it. This is also where you can show off your boat.
Keith B

HELP!! need advice fast

Post by Keith B »

I have come across a kayak I can afford and I want to know what the experts think before I dive in.
it is a 15' Cobra, does anyone know about this boat?
Keith
Keith B

Re: HELP!! need advice fast

Post by Keith B »

OK well how about this, is a 15 or 16 ft boat a good investment, or should I look for something shorter?
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Cobra 15 is a decent boat........YOU have to like it.......Nobody can tell you what fits your needs........If you have a lot of distance to cover a longer boat is better(15-16).....lots of maneuvering shorter boat works better(12-13).....14'falls in between.....
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Thanks. Those are the kind of things I need to know.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Before you buy a 16' kayak think long and hard as to how you are going to store it and transport it.

Cobras can paddle like a barge, try it first.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

OK thanks, and again thee are the things I need to hear. I am also looking at an Ocean Prowler 13. I have heard good things about these. It is a little older and has some cosmetic issues, but for less than 500$ I guess I cannot complain.
pag_yaker

Post by pag_yaker »

If the OK Prowler is structuraly sound, that'd probably be the better boat. I'm used to ither paddling a 10' boat or a 12' boat. Last weekend I took out the 15' boat and it whipped my a$$. It was nice to be able to carry all that stuff, but I paid the price trying to dodge a strom coming in.
Jerry White
Contributing author for Paddling.net since 2005
Contributing author for Florida Sportsman Magazine
Member - Florida Outdoor Writers Association
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Super thanks. How can I make sure it is structurally sound? Other than making sure there are no holes in the boat is there something to look for?
Thanks again guys. It sounds like the prowler will be the way to go.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Keith B wrote: I am also looking at an Ocean Prowler 13.
This is why you need to test paddle. I had a Prowler 13 once and did not like the boat at all, used it 2-3 times and sold it, but yet you will find others who love it. I hated the molded in footwells, they never worked for me and were very uncomfortable.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Thanks, I am buying it from a guy on a forum, so I am not sure I will get to test paddle it.
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

OK does anyone know anything about the Ocean Kayak Caper? It is 11.3 ft. Would any of you go out into Cockroach bay or some place like that in an 11ft kayak?
This boat comes with paddle, tether, rod holders (uninstalled), seat, dry bags, and it has never been sat in. It was ordered and then he decided he had other interests.
Sounds like a great deal but I am just not sure about an 11ft boat.
Thanks for the advice.
Keith
Razz Ma Tazz

Post by Razz Ma Tazz »

Just how bigga fella are ya?
That has a great affect on what fits you best and whether or not you can get a dry ride in a smaller yak.
I had a Hobie Quest...really great yak, but I stayed sitting in water all day long....sold it and bought
Malibu XFactor...little bigger, heavier, more weight capacity, lot more stability, but I wanted a dry ride more than I wanted
to paddle fast...Also, lots of leg room for long days. Easy to get into and out of is shallow water if you want to stake it out and
wade a bit.

How are you gonna transport it...lifting an 80# boat on top of a Ford Expedition is a killer diller...
I built a trailer as I have two XFactors, a Pro Xplorer, and a MiniX. As you can see, I really like the Malibu line of yaks...
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

6ft 200-210
Also I plan to carry it on the top of my Envoy. I am now looking for some way to secure it up there, safely.