not the largest but maybe the "biggest"

Naples to West Palm and south, including the Keys
bonefishwhisperer

not the largest but maybe the "biggest"

Post by bonefishwhisperer »

after 8 month dry spell I finally had the chance to cast to actual tailing bonefish this morning...I was in my 12ft Freedom Hawk aka the bonefish destroyer....the water was very shallow so I slide off the side and ran up to it and threw the victory shot...just like the good old days it swam straight at the dread and inhaled...finally...as it got about 30yds into the backing I discovered that the backing had overlapped and was struck solid...every second counts as the line is strtching and about to pop...I ran toward the fish non stop as the line stayed tight as a guitar string...mercifully it ran out of water...I never did get the knot out but now had the fish only 20ft away so I put the mustard on it and it never hit the knot again...was exhausted from the long run in the mud and shallow water...it is one of the smallest in size that I have ever caught but it was the hardest earned fish in my entire life...I believe this to be the 1st bone from the west side of Biscayne Bay caught this yr

Gen 9:2 "And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered." .... even God likes Dreads....
skinnywater

Re: not the largest but maybe the "biggest"

Post by skinnywater »

Thats how to do it! :salute:
Kevin

"Am I missing and eyebrow?" - Adam Savage
Evan

Post by Evan »

Yes!! :cheers: Great news!

Nothing worse than losing a nice fish to a knot - glad you were able to run this badboy down instead. Guess this means I'll be calling in sick to work and heading down to Miami sometime soon.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

I don't even know if my reel has backing on it. :pale:
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Evan

Post by Evan »

Don't be discouraged. I've caught literally thousands of fish on fly and have only seen my backing a couple times. Bonefish and big tarpon aside, if you stalk and fight fish correctly it should be a very rare occurrence.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion
bonefishwhisperer

Post by bonefishwhisperer »

it never was a knot but the backing had "jumped" over itself..probably from reeling in slack and then stacking more backing on top of it...with my glasses on and needle nose pliers I was able to get it straightened back out...had the bone been a "real" bone it would have never been landed...I dodged a bullet...I have at least 200yds on all my reels and need every yd of it many times, well I used to anyway
Gen 9:2 "And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered." .... even God likes Dreads....
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

I want one, will be in Tampa tomorrow for the day quick RT, will see ya out there Saturday morning...
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~