Gee, ain't this grand...

Here is a place to talk about our Environmental Concerns.
Rik

Gee, ain't this grand...

Post by Rik »

For immediate release: June 7, 2010

Shoreline fishing license is free to residents, beginning July 1

The shoreline fishing license for Florida residents to catch saltwater fish from shore or a structure affixed to shore cost $9 last year, but this year, it’s free beginning July 1.

The Florida Legislature repealed the shoreline license fee during the past session. However, legislators retained the license requirement to prevent a more-costly federal registration fee from taking effect in Florida.

Resident anglers who obtain the shoreline license over the phone or Internet still will have to pay a convenience fee to the vendor. The convenience fee is $2.31 for Internet sales at http://www.fl.wildlifelicense.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or $3.33 for phone sales at 888-FISH FLORIDA (888-347-4356).

Only Florida residents qualify for a no-cost shoreline license, and the license does not cover fishing from a boat or from land or a structure accessible only by boat. That requires a regular saltwater fishing license: $17 for residents; for nonresidents the cost is $17 for three days, $30 for seven days or $47 per year.

There are some exemptions for license requirements. More information is available at MyFWC.com/License.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Chief1600

Re: Gee, ain't this grand...

Post by Chief1600 »

So, now they issue the license without even recovering the costs, much less contributing toward the resource. Isn't that special.
Last edited by Chief1600 on Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim - snooty elitist

"Of all pursuits mankind has devised to make you look stupid and uncoordinated, fly fishing is unquestionably number one." Jack Ohman, Fear of Fly Fishing
Evan

Post by Evan »

Florida has long promoted itself as "The Fishing Capital of the World". And yet, fishing licenses here are among the cheapest in the country - only 3 states had cheaper licenses the last time I checked. Even the regular $17 fee is a joke. As a Colorado resident I paid double that, and I have paid more than that PER DAY to fish in other Western states. I know how you guys feel about government fees, but at the same time, it's just crazy for Florida to shortchange itself like this.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion
Rik

Post by Rik »

Yep. If you fish you should have a license and you should pay for it. That money should go back to the resource. Like more enforcement.

For years people stood up and demanded license from everyone fishing. The powers to be finally listened, put it in place (even though it really was due to a threat of a federal license if the state didn't do their own) and now they change the price to $0?

Ridiculous.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
justabucup

Post by justabucup »

Code: Select all

If you fish you should have a license and you should pay for it.
Especially every old man out there poaching to trade trout for old lady *** at the trailer park!

Throw the bums out is not just for the federal level!
Credo quia absurdum
DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.
Rik

Post by Rik »

one side note - that 'convenience fee'? That was put in place when they changed from a Florida vendor to an out of state vendor to handle phone and internet sales. When the Florida company was doing the sales, their fee came out of the license money and was less than the current 'convenience' fee.
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

And why does the Fed think it has the right to tax us to fish our waters? This shit is getting way out of hand.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Rik

Post by Rik »

it's not a tax, its a user fee.....

Hey, I'm all for fishing licenses. First, its gets you something to lose if you break the laws. Second, if the money goes towards that resource (and, in these days, that's a big if) I have no problem paying it. A license also gives the govt an idea of how many fishermen there are. That goes a long way when we need something.

I just hate these damn exemptions. Pretty damn simple, if you ask me. If you fish, you pay for a license. Okay, I'll go for one. If you are 15 or younger, you get a no fee license - but you still have to have a license. Start the responsibility thing early.
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

I am rapidly reaching the age where I get a free license......I Will Still Buy One..........
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
SRQGator
Grocery Yodeler

Post by SRQGator »

justabucup wrote:... trade trout for old lady *** at the trailer park!
The voice of experience!
1 1 12?
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

SRQGator wrote:
justabucup wrote:... trade trout for old lady *** at the trailer park!
The voice of experience!
Now that's funny Wippersnapper.............
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!