dreaded tarpon

Naples to West Palm and south, including the Keys
bonefishwhisperer

dreaded tarpon

Post by bonefishwhisperer »

now the tarpon have become dependent on dreads for breakfast just as the bones were...made 4 cast today...landed 3 baby tarpon on the same 20lb bite tippet...was done and gone by 9am

Gen 9:2 "And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered." .... even God likes Dreads....
overtheedge86

Re: dreaded tarpon

Post by overtheedge86 »

You catch damn near anything on that fly, any chance you will share the recipe? :lol:
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by ChrisR »

You can Google Electric Dread, and the recipe is the first thing on the list. Pictures and all!
Evan

Post by Evan »

I still don't understand what those tarpon are doing eating a weighted crab pattern. I thought their mouths were designed to eat stuff above them? Must take some pretty precise timing on the hookset to get the fly to stick without going down into their mouth, where that 20# tippet wouldn't last long.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion
bonefishwhisperer

contrair monfrair...it is a suspended pattern and extremely lifelike in performance...besides that it has instant shock value so one must be very careful to hit their target because small snapper and jacks will slam it immediately...the water for these poons was very deep, maybe 50ft deep so I merely cast to the 1st rising tarpon and the bite is before I can even strip it once...unlike the rookies I use the rod to set the hook at 1st...this sets up the step #2...instead of strip striking I allow full extension of my arms and rod and then bring both arms back to my body to shorten the line considerably and this is much more effective for penetration of the hook...of course everybody will argue with me about that...
the dread has complete tying info posted on FOTW...of course thats 2 yrs old and not the "new" dread...the public is not ready yet
Gen 9:2 "And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered." .... even God likes Dreads....
Rik

Post by Rik »

bonefishwhisperer wrote:...of course everybody will argue with me about that...
Obviously you are doing it all wrong.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
overtheedge86

Post by overtheedge86 »

Thanks, I will have to try and tie a few of these.
1okbyme2

Post by 1okbyme2 »

That is truly a powerful weapon you are wielding there BFW. The dreaded dred seems to catch everything.
What I'm curious about is the totally new style of fish pictures we are seeing from you.
Is it because you get them so deep?
"They paved paradise and put up a parking lot" Joni Mitchell
bonefishwhisperer

it is because the water is extremely deep and also I am not allowed to remove the tarpon from the water by rule....believe it or not I actually follow ALL the rules...technically I guess I could remove it since I am tagging them but the reality is I am trying to get as many as possible before the bite is off...not to worry though, the moment any other fish even show up I will be there and things will be back to normal
Evan

Post by Evan »

Ah, this makes way more sense now that I know the water was 50 feet deep (!). I assumed you were poling around on the flats as usual...
Everyone is entitled to my opinion
bonefishwhisperer

I was on the flats...I know every single inch of the flats including all dredges and box cut coral bottoms...right now I dont need to hunt but going on past knowledge of local tarpon, its more like a race from the launch...I know where you can be in ankle deep water and the next step in 50ft deep...thats where I was fishing...most of the time the water is about 3ft deep max and thats a good depth for sight fishing to rising tarpon