Vanishing Water

Here is a place to talk about our Environmental Concerns.
Kpmiggs

Vanishing Water

Post by Kpmiggs »

I wanted to share with everyone some really good books I have recently read. The 1st is a book named "Mirage". It is about Florida and the Vanishing Water of the Eastern US. It will really open your eyes on how Florida was so wet with so much abundant fresh-water that it now faces shortages and the politics/conflicts involved. It also touches upon the water wars, development, privatization, the bottled water industry, and new-water-supply schemes.

The 2nd book is titled "The Swamp" and it is about the everglades, Florida, and the Politics of Paradise. Another great book about the history of Florida, the draining of the Everglades, and the restoration of the everglades. It also talks about the killing fields of rookeries and I know there are a lot of people attached to this forum who love to photograph birds. I could go on for a long time about this book and will just encourage everyone to read these books. Reading both of these books really has taught me a lot and opened my eyes even further.

Our greatest resource is fresh water and we need to protect that. A lot of people do not think about water and how we get it, most think it is a never ending supply and when we turn on the tap it should just be there. Since I am in the waterworks industry I really get to see what happens first hand and how much water we are wasting and destroyed. If anyone has read either of these books please let me know your thoughts and if you have any other books you read please share them with me. I think it is really important for everyone to understand how are water systems work because for the most part the water is underground in leaking water lines and valves and since it is underground it is out of sight out of mind. Anyways if you read this whole thread thank you and please if you have any insight or questions please share them. I am not a native to Florida but this is my home and I love this state and want to see it remain beautiful because my children will be natives to it.

Lastly there is another great book to read for the West Coast (California) people named "Cadillac Desert" by Marc Reisner that really touches upon the water issues and dames on the West Coast our of country where fresh, clean drinking water is a major issue.
TEAM PENETRATION - We Like to set our hooks Deep!
1okbyme2

Re: Vanishing Water

Post by 1okbyme2 »

Thanks, I'll look for them.
This is also a problem, as you stated, in the great lakes basin as well.
"They paved paradise and put up a parking lot" Joni Mitchell
Kpmiggs

Post by Kpmiggs »

Yeah there is a section in the book Mirage about the great lakes water basin.
TEAM PENETRATION - We Like to set our hooks Deep!
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Found "The Swamp" at the book store yesterday. Sounds interesting, thanks for the heads up.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
skinnywater

Post by skinnywater »

The Swamp is an excellent read, you get a better perspective of what real Florida was like.
Kevin

"Am I missing and eyebrow?" - Adam Savage