Saturday Cookin

Mark R

Saturday Cookin

Post by Mark R »

We were out of cookies (ohh nooo) and bread, and I need some pulled pork for Wed night Sooooo.
More on the meat later.

Rustic Country Bread
Sponge
1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast
1 cup cool water
1 cup bread flour
1 cup whole wheat flour

Dough
3 1/2 cups bread flour
1/2 cup rye flour
1 1/2 cups warm water
2 tablespoons honey
1 generous tablespoon kosher salt or 2 tblsps table salt

course cornmeal for sprinkling on peel

Sponge
dissolve yeast in water, mix in flours. Cover let stand for 45 minutes (or till double).
Dough
Mix Flours, water, honey and sponge mix till smooth (15 minutes) add salt last 15 minutes.
Transfer to lightly oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap - let stand till tripled (2 hours)
Turn dough onto lightly floured surface, dust hands and top of dough with flour. Lightly press dough into a disk, fold edges to center. Transfer dough to colander, smooth side down. Cover with aluminum foil, let stand till doubled in size (45 minutes).
Place water in pan on lowed rack of oven preheated to 450 deg.

(for a round) Cover peel with cornmeal, turn dough onto peel, Slice 3 times top of dough. Slide dough with a jerk to baking stone in oven.
(for loafs) Divide dough in two and place into to greased (Crisco) bread pans.
Bake 35 - 40 minutes turning after 25 minutes if not evenly brown.

French Bread
3 1/2 cups unbleached flour
2 tablespoons table or 1 tablespoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons honey
1 1/2 cups hot H2O
1 package rapid rise yeast

Heat oven to 200 deg. for 10 minutes.
Place flour salt and honey in bowl. combine water and yeast stirring to dissolve.
Start mixer on low slowly add water mixture, mix for 10 minutes.
Stop mixer 2 or 3 times scrape dough from hook and bowl.
Dough will be sticky and stick to hook, if too wet add 1 Tblspn flour, if too dry add 1 Tblspn H2O till correct.
On lightly floured surface knead dough by hand for 15 seconds.
Gently form dough into a round and place top side down in a lightly oiled bowl. Cover and let stand till double in size, apx. 40 minutes in warm oven.
The sponge for the rustic bread and the dough for the french.
Remove from oven, heat oven to 350 deg.
Turn dough onto floured surface, half dough. On well floured surface, press first piece into a rectangle about 7 inches long, fold in thirds and make a trough with your hand down the top center, fold the dough along the trough and pinch to seal.
Use palms to roll dough back and forth from the center to the ends until you have a loaf 16 inches long. Place in French bread pans and cover with damp dishtowel (not touching dough), let rise for 35 minutes.
Slide baguettes seam side down onto baking peel, slide onto baking stone in pre heated oven. Bake 20-25 minutes.
I don't have (yet) french bread pans, so I let them rise in a big pan.

Now time to take out the drumsticks, about half way for the butts.

Now it's cookie time, sorry it's my Mom's secret recipe and she won't let me give it up.
And 20 minutes later.
Sooo now the bread has cooled enough to slice. I just use my cheap old meat slicer, because it's what I have. And it works.
Took a time out to eat the drumsticks with Chipolte sauce (sorry no photo) and...
Time to pull the butts
I did freeze one of the butts for later. :wink:
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?