NASBLA - paddle craft registration

Here is a place to talk about our Environmental Concerns.
Rik

NASBLA - paddle craft registration

Post by Rik »

NASBLA - The National Association of State Boating Law Administrators is a national nonprofit organization that works to develop public policy for recreational boating safety. NASBLA represents the recreational boating authorities of all 50 states and the U.S. territories.

Go to page 19 - "Upstream with a Paddle"

http://nasbla.org/files/public/SCA/JanFeb10.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
skinnywater

Re: NASBLA - paddle craft registration

Post by skinnywater »

:roll:
They say how important registration is for boater safety, homeland security, search and rescue and resource management.

All I hear is $$$$$

It sounds like the argument for red light cameras. They push the cameras for safety, yet the cameras make a ton of money. Some intersections do NOT have a camera for the left turn lane, the lane where most accidents occur. Instead, the camera is set on the right hand lane, where a roll thru over 2mph will get you a $150 ticket.
Kevin

"Am I missing and eyebrow?" - Adam Savage
Rik

Post by Rik »

Maybe we should also register swimmers.

Skinny - I hear the same thing.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Mr. Matthew Long. I'd like to invite you for a paddle tour of Everglades National Park. Bring sunscreen and DEET. I'll take care of EVERYTHING else.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
justabucup

Post by justabucup »

Due to the simple fact that these vessels
do not use motorboat fuel, they cannot be
included within the Wallop-Breaux funding
mechanism.
The same could be stated by every boat on a trailer that fills up at a local gas station as opposed to a marina or has 20 5 gallon gas tanks they fill and drive home. This is clearly an organization that is a boating rights advocacy sham er group. This is a money grab by NAMBLA ooops I mean NASBLA but the effect is the same someone is going to get it from behind
Credo quia absurdum
Evan

Post by Evan »

"...if a state were to register these watercraft, then those registration fees could be used in-state to pay for resources used by the users. This includes defraying the costs of acquisition and development of access sites, river safety programs, barrier float systems, rescue training, portages and campsites."

One way or the other, paddlers will soon be coughing up registration fees. There's just no way around it. Probably best to focus on how to ensure that we actually receive the benefits described above in return. If it really does work that way, then I personally have no problem paying for kayak registration.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Now I'm back to disagreeing with you. That didn't last long. If you have no problem paying for registration, go right ahead. Tomorrow. Just go down to the TAX collector and flip em a 20.
I, and I dare say most folks, are sick of taxes and am not ready or willing to pay another new one. If it means there isn't another new launch built in my lifetime I don't care.
You will not. QUOTE ME ON THIS. You will not see me pay one red cent for registration of a paddle craft. I am fed up to here with government money grabs. Fed the fu&^ up!! :soapbox:
I'm going down to Vamo now and use the hell out of that park that I already paid for.
Damnit!
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Rik

Post by Rik »

DaveR wrote: I'm going down to Vamo now and use the hell out of that park that I already paid for.
That blows a lot of the cost stuff right out of the water. Virtually every place we launch is an existing govt owned site that we already pay for. Now, if they build some super special kayak launch - charge entry into the park. So far, I haven't seen a super special kayak launch that was worth half the money they paid to build it. If all we get is a hole in the mangroves, sorry, that doesn't warrant reg fees.

It all boils down to getting something for what we are paying.
1okbyme2

Post by 1okbyme2 »

They say how important registration is for boater safety, homeland security, search and rescue and resource management.

All I hear is $$$$$
Ditto...
"They paved paradise and put up a parking lot" Joni Mitchell
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

from the article
When there are important changes to the
law, or other issues of importance to the
boating public, state boating law officials
have no way to contact paddlers directly.
Gee I get all giddy when I get something in the mail from the Gov't. :roll:

I agree with Dave...%$& registration ...we wouldn't see a dime of it in improvements.
The Gov't has finally figured out that non-motorized watercraft is a burgeoninjg industry and they want cash from the cow plain and simple.

"State Boating Law Administrators is a national nonprofit organization" ultimate oxymoron...and I'm going to be the next Pope..
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

No offense Randy, but I want my own cell.

"SANCTUARY!!!"

mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

No offense Randy, but I want my own cell.
No worries..
not a chance I'll need a cell. I'm just too damn old for that.
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

mauso1 wrote: No worries..
not a chance I'll need a cell. I'm just too damn old for that.
Tellin me your Liberty needs it's Tempurepedic sir?

"SANCTUARY!!!"

shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

I see a new cottage industry "Bootleg registration stickers"
Who exactly is going to enforce this registration(money grab) Are police going to stakeout every hole in the Mangroves ?
When I lived in New Rochelle they required one for Kayaks. The money went to a kayak ramp.
It was the stupidest thing you ever saw. To steep, too narrow and a right turn to get on the dock at the bottom of the ramp. It was also placed so you were situated on the main channel for a very busy marina.
0 0 1