Thursday Snook

Flamingo to Big Bend
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Thursday Snook

Post by Manning »

Went out about 1:30 today. Water was high and tide was coming in. Solunar table said that now was the time. Paddled out to a spot where I have hit lots of snook on prior trips and stuck in the anchor pin. With the wind out of the east I was set perfect to work this area. Fan casted across the area using a black and gold DOA shad tail. Nothing...must be the wrong color lure. Changed out to DOA Arkansas glow shad tail. Another series of fan casts and nothing. Time to try the DOA shrimp. Another 180 degrees of fan casts and still nothing. Decided it was time to move on. Back paddled and pulled the pin. Now I was drifting fast towards the mangroves. Decided to make one more cast with the Arkansas glow shad tail. Started my retrieve and bang, a big hook-up followed by a big jump. All was good, but I was definitely going to be in the mangroves before I could get this this fish to the boat. I hooked the butt of the rod under my right knee and laid the rod over my left leg which I raised up to keep the rod tip up and pressure on the fish. Grabbed the paddle and back paddled best I could in this position. When I gained about 20 yards I quickly dropped the paddle and put in the pin. I was lucky. Through all this I was able to keep pressure on the fish which was trying to run back to the mangroves. Ok...kind of a long story, but it was fun. The snook was 29 inches and nice and fat.
If you have seen my other pictures you may notice that I got new shoes. Bass Pro for $35. Really like them so far.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
snooker56

Re: Thursday Snook

Post by snooker56 »

Good story. Definitely not too long. Nice snook and nice looking shoes, also.
"Bugman" Tom

Heritage Redfish 14
Chevy Silverado
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Ya know. I quit fishing there so the stocks could recover from my assault. You're making me regret my decision! :|
Nice snuke!
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
SRQGator
Grocery Yodeler

Post by SRQGator »

DaveR wrote:Ya know. I quit fishing there so the stocks could recover from my assault.
Tell the truth DaveR! You quit fishing there because you were being out done by a bunch of noobs. :tongue:

Nice snook Mr. Manning.
1 1 12?
crookedsnook

Post by crookedsnook »

Snukes are cool! good job. :cool:
let's try over there