Kayak wars in Sarasota

Here is a place to talk about our Environmental Concerns.
shallow minded II

Kayak wars in Sarasota

Post by shallow minded II »

this is an issue that has been growing in recent years. And it can be a real hassle to pull back up to the launch expecting to take a well deserved leak, only to find 15 folks from Ohio standing next to a local outfitter try to learn how to use a kayak paddle. Besides, I thought one needed a permit/license to do business inside a county park just like the beach vendors selling cokes & hotdogs. Whats your thought?

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20 ... ies-do-too" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I always catch more & larger fish when I fish by myself. Stealth is the key.
DoubleM

Re: Kayak wars in Sarasota

Post by DoubleM »

I think its classic that the guy got busted in the sting operation.
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.
Hornetbear

Post by Hornetbear »

I think they should kick them out of the park and make the tours a state run concession.

Make some money for the park rather than some douche in a floppy hat.
Rik

Post by Rik »

Hornetbear wrote:I think they should kick them out of the park and make the tours a state run concession.

Make some money for the park rather than some douche in a floppy hat.
ditto.

All of those tour companies have been skirting the rules for quite some time now. All of the others took just a small step over the line. That guy took a couple giant steps over and got popped.

Now, we'll have many more and stiffer rules and they will all get hurt.

(Man how I hate pulling up to a local launch and seeing a couple kayak trailers loaded up with sherbet and fluorescent colored kayaks surrounded by 25 pasty white tourists trying on PFDs and measuring paddles as if they know the right length. Not only have they blocked the entire launch, they've taken every parking spot. Inevitably one will try to be nice and ask if I need any help and I have to bite my tongue and not respond with "yeah, get in your kayak and get out of the damn way")
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

What do I think? I think it's also illegal to take a leak in public. Not like that stops me either, when you gotta go... :bounce:
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
Evan

Post by Evan »

I have seen this same scenario play out in many different areas. I also live in SRQ and have suffered through this particular boondoggle several times. Just have no patience for this growing sense of entitlement among guides/outfitters that they "own" the place just because they're trying to make a living and you're just there to relax. They take everything and contribute nothing. Really glad to see the existing laws FINALLY being enforced!
Everyone is entitled to my opinion
1okbyme2

Post by 1okbyme2 »

Yeah! & the same can be said for "fishing tournaments" :x
"They paved paradise and put up a parking lot" Joni Mitchell