Pompano rod

noles

Pompano rod

Post by noles »

Portuguese cork grip with Fuji reel seat, grip is sealed
Can't be a pompano rod without a pompano decal
Guide layout, you're probably think that's odd !
Titanium Fuji low rider guide #1, notice it's installed backwards.
Titanium Fuji low rider guide #2
Titanium Fuji low rider guide #3
Running guides are Fuji titanium single foot guide inclined at 45 degrees

This rod was built for a dedicated pompano angler in our area. This was one of three rods I built in the same exact manner but using two different St. Croix SCV blanks. I built the rod based on a high-end Japanese spinning rod that used Fuji titanium low rider guides (LCSG), Fuji LDBSG for the running guides, and MNST tip top. I was able to find the LCSG and MNST tip-top but found out that the Fuji LDBSG was not sold in the US. This is what the LDBSG looks like:
They are pretty cool in that the frames are inclined at 45 degrees which results in a non-tangling guide.
Image Image
In addition with the frame inclined at 45 degrees, the diameter of the ceramic opening becomes smaller and offers less resistance.
I could of order the guides from Japan but that was too costly; so what I did was to modify the single foot and inclined the frame at 45 degrees. I think it worked out just fine. Here's a little literature on the guides. I would build all my rods using those guides if I can get my hands on them in the States.
http://www.kowafuji.com/ldbsg.html
Last edited by noles on Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"whose that little motherf***er with the fly rod"
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Re: Pompano rod

Post by DaveR »

Very nice indeed sir. The guides overkill for a pompano rod? I ask this ask someone who has never built a rod.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
noles

Post by noles »

DaveR wrote:Very nice indeed sir. The guides overkill for a pompano rod? I ask this ask someone who has never built a rod.
See above for explanation of why the rod was built like that.
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

opening becomes smaller and offers less resistance.
Are you taking inside or outside Diameter? Like the cork.
0 0 1
noles

Post by noles »

shamus wrote:
opening becomes smaller and offers less resistance.
Are you taking inside or outside Diameter? Like the cork.
Inside
TampaJim

Post by TampaJim »

One of my colleagues imports the LDBSG series from Japan ... or at least he was doing so last time I checked. I am sure that he would be more than happy to sell to you. All you need is your reseller's certificate and corresponding FEID.

You may find the new "K" series to be acceptable - they offer the angle you seek AND a "tangle-free" open design. They are available in a Titanium Alloy frame with a Silicon Carbide insert (TKTSG). Anglers Resource is currently bringing them into the US for general distribution.

There is a fellow over in Pinellas Park that likes fishing with the type of rod you built. He loves nothing more than pompano fishing and collects Japanese PE rods and exotic reels.

Jim -
noles

Post by noles »

TampaJim wrote:One of my colleagues imports the LDBSG series from Japan ... or at least he was doing so last time I checked. I am sure that he would be more than happy to sell to you. All you need is your reseller's certificate and corresponding FEID.

You may find the new "K" series to be acceptable - they offer the angle you seek AND a "tangle-free" open design. They are available in a Titanium Alloy frame with a Silicon Carbide insert (TKTSG). Anglers Resource is currently bringing them into the US for general distribution.

There is a fellow over in Pinellas Park that likes fishing with the type of rod you built. He loves nothing more than pompano fishing and collects Japanese PE rods and exotic reels.

Jim -
Thanks Jim, I'll would love to get my hands on those guides to try. The rod was built for the fellow over in Pinellas Park :wink: .
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

Nice rod Noles. That is some of the best cork I've seen in a while. I like the idea on the guides, although I can't think of may times I've hooked line on the guides. But then again, I try to avoid spinning rods when I can.
“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste....” — Rahm Emanuel
"Freedom!" - Sir William Wallace
Who is John Galt?
TampaJim

Post by TampaJim »

dunfly wrote:That is some of the best cork I've seen in a while.
Unless I miss my guess ... you are looking at a St Croix "handle kit".

St Croix has them available for spinning, casting and fly rods ... these are the same components they utilize in house. They are a good value and hold up well. Like all production grade cork grips, they are treated with filler to improve them visually.
TampaJim

Post by TampaJim »

noles wrote:Thanks Jim, I'll would love to get my hands on those guides to try. The rod was built for the fellow over in Pinellas Park :wink: .
I sent you a PM with pricing. The guides ARE available ... T-LDBSG #6.

Jim -
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

How does a smaller diameter equal less resistance? Must be some kind of Engeineer thing
0 0 1