Leader attaching knot

rocrfella

Leader attaching knot

Post by rocrfella »

What knot do you use to attach your line to a leader. I use the surgeon's knot because it's the easiest one to do. What's the strongest knot for this?
DoubleM

Re: Leader attaching knot

Post by DoubleM »

Slim Beauty..

or..

Gt knot which is quicker for me w/ low test braids than slim beauty.
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.
TampaJim

Post by TampaJim »

I use the a nail knot splice (opposing nail knots) OR an albright knot ...

http://www.animatedknots.com/nailknot/i ... dknots.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.animatedknots.com/albright/i ... dknots.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Josh

Post by Josh »

I use an albright for fluoro to PP attachments and a uni to uni for mono to fluoro.
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

Uni to Uni
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

krash wrote:Uni to Uni
ditto
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
kneedeep

Post by kneedeep »

Uni to Uni Holds over 95% of the line strength, I've heard. And it's a small enough knot to run through the guides if you use a longer leader. I've never broken off because of this knot, that's all the convincing I need! :cool:
<SDFT><{
"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Rik

Post by Rik »

The Slim Beauty is a great knot. Supposedly it is 100% and it is smaller than a uni to uni. However, it is not an 'easy' knot to tie.

If I am tying the connection at home, I use the Slim Beauty. If I'm tying it out on the water, it is uni to uni.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
americanrobster

Post by americanrobster »

Uni to uni all the way.
Rob

Heritage Redfish 12'

Heritage Redfish 14'
Josh

Post by Josh »

Do you uni to uni guys use it to tie fluoro to power pro? I haven't had any luck with that and it is mostly what I am tying.
MarkM
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by MarkM »

I use the slim beauty, but without doubling the line, and it works fine. It's a little tricky to tie at first, but if you watch someone do it, it's actually easier than it looks. It works great for those of us who tend to reel the knot in past the guides.
MrSpectaculous

Post by MrSpectaculous »

MarkM wrote:I use the slim beauty, but without doubling the line, and it works fine. It's a little tricky to tie at first, but if you watch someone do it, it's actually easier than it looks. It works great for those of us who tend to reel the knot in past the guides.
Me too :thumbleft:
I think I can dance.
Bill
Ultimate 14.5
Purple Emotion GS
Uncle Tommy
Black Tip Tommy

Post by Uncle Tommy »

Josh wrote:Do you uni to uni guys use it to tie fluoro to power pro? I haven't had any luck with that and it is mostly what I am tying.
Yes, though you have to experiment with the number of wraps in each line. Doubling the line with a Bimini Twist or Surgeons Loop helps as well.

If there is a huge discrepancy between line diameters (like 15# PP to 40 # flouro), I'll use an Albright.
Please, call me Kate
Mako

Post by Mako »

Uni-to-Uni for me.....3 wraps on the leader and 5 on the line....most of the time is 15-20 # PP and 20-30 # fluoro....must be 100% strong because I've never had a problem with it
Peter
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160
TK

Post by TK »

Mako wrote:Uni-to-Uni for me.....3 wraps on the leader and 5 on the line....most of the time is 15-20 # PP and 20-30 # fluoro....must be 100% strong because I've never had a problem with it
Same here, although tht slim beauty looks good. I will give that a shot and see how it goes (if I ever get to fish again).
"I am trying to catch tarpon, but these snook keep getting in the way!"
Evan

Post by Evan »

The Slim Beauty is worth learning. It also works well for attaching tarpon bite tippets to fly leaders.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion