Yesterday Gandy Area

Flamingo to Big Bend
IntimiGator

Yesterday Gandy Area

Post by IntimiGator »

Here's my first report so go ahead a bash me now, just get the whipping over with and let's move on and fish.
:lol:
What a nice day in Tampa Bay. The sun was out all day and really heated things up especially the oyster bar I was fishing today.
I got a really late start due to some catching up on my sleep. After paddling over 6 miles yesterday and catching nothing, I really
felt it this morning. My paddle today was all of about 50 yards to my favorite oyster bar and things started off about 4:15pm.
My first three cast were a success with some 16" trout. These guys were aggressive because I missed the first hit each time
but continued reeling in very slowly and got hooked up again. The clouds thickened, I got a few drops of rain, the porpoises showed
up, and the wind kicked up to about 15 knots. I continued casting and nothing for a few cast so I threw over the oyster bar and
immediatley hooked this guy.
All fish were caught on the DOA CAL SHAD weighted 1/16 oz Owner Twist Lock 3/0 hook
Colors were Golden Bream and Chartreuse/Silver Glitter
It was one over slot trout after another for about 30 minutes catching and releasing about 7 of them up to 24". That's was
so much fun. I then hooked into something that was really taking drag and staying down so thinking a red but after a valiant battle
a big foul hooked mullet broke the surface. After that I lost two Gator trout that did not want to behave beside the kayak.
Here's a couple more photos of my catch and the kayak.
rocrfella

Re: Yesterday Gandy Area

Post by rocrfella »

Congrats!!! Very nice trouts! I was fishing the grandy area Saturday. I worked the flats and oyster bars along the channel. I caught absolutely nothing. There were a lot of kayak anglers out on Saturday too. It was a fun day, but I came home empty handed!
americanrobster

Post by americanrobster »

Tight work IntimiGator. I may have to load up the kayak and hit up Gandy in the next day or so.
Rob

Heritage Redfish 12'

Heritage Redfish 14'
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

Nice job Rick. :salute: Beautiful Troutski's!
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Nice job on tratchin crout!
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
DRock

Post by DRock »

Anybody'd call that a good afternoon on the water. Good catchin', Rick!!
Derick
Tan W.S. Ride 135
BlueTuna

Post by BlueTuna »

Awesome! Thinking of going somewhere this weekend with my son and Gandy is an area I'm considering.
"There's no such word as can't" - Dad
David