Well, I didn't lose my pliers......

Flamingo to Big Bend
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Well, I didn't lose my pliers......

Post by DaveR »

The weatherman promised sunny skies and light winds. The weatherman is an asshol#. Sun didn't really peak out before noon and we even had some sprinkles of rain a few times. The weather at Cow creek can be maddening. Rik, Heywood, Justabucup, and myself met up for some redfishing with a trout happy ending and most of us caught fish. I was first with a 26 and 998/1000 of an inch red about an hour into our trip. Not too long after that a 2 foot long trout walloped my Mirro Mullet.I'm starting to really like that thing. Then came a drought. We didn't see squat for a while and decided to change locations. As the tide rose we saw some movement in the water and a red again hit my topwater but after 2 seconds of pulling drag it was free. A few casts later in the same area another red was playing with my lure but was reluctant to strike. I left the topwater out there and threw a jig right behind it. Worked just like Bill Dance says it does. A feisty 24"er came to the boat. Shortly afterwards dinner in the shape of a 19" trout hit the Mirro Mullet . Next was yada yada yada, I lost my radio somehow, yada yada yada. Buc can fill in the yadas if he cares to. Once in a while he's good at prose. Rik left for greener pastures and the three of us came upon a shallow flat that was just flooding and with the tide came big redfish a some big trout. They were spooky as all get out but Buc intercepted a big wake with his DOA shrimp and pulled out a brute on his 6 pound test trout outfit. The wind picked up and we headed for screams of "HELP!!!"from a far shoreline. Seems an oldtimer was wading and got stuck in the mud. A fella in a jon boat got him out just as we got there. Cow Creek mud can kill!
Buc had enough and headed in and Bill was still stinkin in a weasley sort of way so the 2 of us headed out again. We started to see some more reds after an hour or so and after a smart lure change Bill caught a beauty of a red and I landed a smallish one. Happy that MOST of us caught fish, we headed in.

I ran into this guy out on the water. Said he was lookin for his buddy Angler X.
Here's Bill with his red. I have to try that standing thing.
Thanks for a great day fellas.As always,enjoyed your company.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Heywood

Re: Well, I didn't lose my pliers......

Post by Heywood »

Your getting pretty good at the falling thing, next will be the standing with the anchor folded up thing :salute:

Like The Legend said, it was a nice day on the water. Except for the calls for "HELP", that was scarey.

Buc is Har....., oh well, you get the idea. He showed up in shorts, then fought this beauty of a red on 6lb mono. :salute: :salute:

The Legend in full stalking mode.

I was using a new 5" Provoker Scented lure from Mirrolure and wasnt having much luck with it. The reds would turn on it, then turn away. A switch to a good ole Gold Dart did the trick today.

Thanks fellas :thumbright:
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

Great report and sounds like a great day.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
americanrobster

Post by americanrobster »

Alot of nice fish caught guys, nice work.
Rob

Heritage Redfish 12'

Heritage Redfish 14'
geoffsnook

Post by geoffsnook »

Nice work lads. Love the teeth Bill. That's a good look.
Rik

Post by Rik »

Tell me again why we have to launch at 7 a.m. when the fish don't really show up until 11 this time of year?
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
IntimiGator

Post by IntimiGator »

Nice photo's and fishing report. Way to get on them. That looks like some fun.
justabucup

Post by justabucup »

Rik wrote:Tell me again why we have to launch at 7 a.m. when the fish don't really show up until 11 this time of year?
That is why I was able to come out in shorts Rik.

Being a believer in Stubb's axiom of in winter Redfish do not do anything before 10 AM I made it to the launch at about 8:30 after picking up some much needed supplies for Rik. I have to admit that the 150 yard drag of the kayak to get to the water at Cow Creek is getting harder and harder. I was having what appeared to be a carnivora mephitas sort of day. after several drifts and exploring and paddling and drifting and casting about 50 miles of line out and then retrieving.

Translation of Yadda yadda yadda:

I saw DaveR doing a mocking imitation of Heywood. Dave with closet dowel in hand was determindly poling from a tall standing position. Being gravitationally challenged myself there was a slight bit of envy of those that could stand in their kayaks. That quickly left when Dave did his best Great Walenda imitation. The kayak came to an abrupt stop throwing Dave off his balance. Just like the Great Walenda Dave tried to take a seat but he clipped the edge of the kayak and crashing to the earth he went. Flash backs came to me of the great one in high winds meeting his maker after a fall.

I can also attest to the fact that the bottom of DaveR's kayak is in very good shape. After a quick inventory of the contents of his boat all apeared well. The new lanyard had preserved his pliers and the rods never left their racks. Phone camera and other objects appeared to survive none worse the experience. Dave was a great sport about this mishap and I know I would have had trouble laughing this off as he did. Dave is definitely wilderness hardened in that after taking a soaking in water that was just below freezing he still stayed out and fished.

Back to fishing I caught a nice big fish that was a lot of fun on 6lb test on a 2000 shimano reel. After responding to a call for help we made our way back up CowCreek where I stopped at the hole in the pepper trees to drag the boat back to the truck. Dave and Bill continued up towards the damn and the near by springs to get the smell off.

The traffic was not too bad on the 45 minute drive home which is usually not the case at CowCreek.

It was a good day with good company as always.
Credo quia absurdum
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

I was just cold and wet. When compared to an old fella with bad knees, stuck in the mud, wailing for help, I was having a pretty good day.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
CooKnFish

Post by CooKnFish »

I don't know who this guy is anymore...
Paddles - they aren't just for the bedroom anymore.

~Mark~
Rik

Post by Rik »

Rhymes with door, Mark.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

If it's free it's for me. Did a very short stint with O.K. years back. A shirt and pull over are all I have left. BTW, if Native is reading this, I'll get rid of both for a U14.5. :cheers: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute:

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Heywood

Post by Heywood »

Maybe you can get an anchor sponsorship :scratch:
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

Nice job guys, alot better results than our saturday venture
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.
Vlap

Post by Vlap »

Looks like a great time gentlemen!
"It's always an adventure! " Cooknfish.
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

Great, entertaining report guys. Enjoyed it. :thumbleft:
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -