Double Branch Launch Options

Flamingo to Big Bend
bigmackattack

Double Branch Launch Options

Post by bigmackattack »

Quick question....

Did they start charging at Upper Tampa Bay Park? Its the only access i know for putting in a kayak to get access (ive never done it though).

Ive only wade fished the area and man was it ever a struggle that day. Seemed to be very muddy back there and the wind was moving that day.

I was watching Average Angler Adventure 2/10/2010 and i noticed Glenn did some night fishing in the upper bay. I only know of one other spot to put in, but its an apartment complex and its gated (closed at night). Great spot to put in if you can get there...

Do you guys know where else i could put in should the apartment complex be off limits?

thanks,

Jason
countryboy_ucf

Post by countryboy_ucf »

Bad News but that Upper TB park launch is currently closed as well... They are working on the dock last time I was there, and by "working on it" I mean they barricaded it but hadn't actually started anything yet...
Nick F
Hobie Revolution
"More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own
story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me."
Rik

Post by Rik »

How about State Street?
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Uncle Tommy
Black Tip Tommy

Post by Uncle Tommy »

You can also use the CCC ramp for UTB.
Please, call me Kate
VFTG

Post by VFTG »

countryboy_ucf wrote:Bad News but that Upper TB park launch is currently closed as well... They are working on the dock last time I was there, and by "working on it" I mean they barricaded it but hadn't actually started anything yet...
The park charges $2 to get in now and the new launch is in and open. It's an aluminum floating dock, not sure how good that is. The State St. launch is good and open 24/7. It's just a longer paddle if you want to fish the mouth or the flats.
Victor

Why make a trillion when we could make... billions?
yaksailor

Re: Double Branch Launch Options

Post by yaksailor »

It's about a month since I've been there last and never did like the launch. The ramp is so narrow with the railing it's difficult to get your kayak down to the dock. Hopefully they fixed that...
Casey US Navy Ret.
Heritage Redfish 12
Hobie Revolution 13.5
VFTG

Post by VFTG »

I took a couple of pictures last time I was at the park, checking out the new launch.
Victor

Why make a trillion when we could make... billions?
yaksailor

Post by yaksailor »

Nice pics Victor, but the railing are to close imo.......
Casey US Navy Ret.
Heritage Redfish 12
Hobie Revolution 13.5
Rik

Post by Rik »

caseysplace wrote:Nice pics Victor, but the railing are to close imo.......
Turn your kayak sideways and slide it on the railings

I really wish that kayak launch designers would actually be kayak launch users. They all seem to think that kayaks and canoes weigh 4 pounds and that we enjoy carrying them. Plus, they seem to think we only have to make one trip from vehicle to launch and that 100 yards from truck to launch is exercise we enjoy.

Besides, does anyone really enjoy launching off a floating dock?

(yeah, I'm grumpy. I fished yesterday in coldish weather with winds and spitting rain and this morning is warm and sunny)
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

My wife just said, after looking at the beautiful weather. "You should have went fishing today." My response. "The day ain't over."
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
DonS

Post by DonS »

The floating dock launch creates some problems to those used to a shallow beach launch. Sarasota county is starting to use them at their new launch sites too.
Just checked out the new Venice Myakka River Park, it has the railing & floatig dock too.This is on a riverbank having steep entrys through brush notfriendly to one man launching.
Can anyone offer tips to kayak entry from such docks?
stroke - stroke - glide
Rik

Post by Rik »

Don,

15 minutes with a bobcat would be quicker, easier to us and less expensive in the long run than a floating dock.

The other thing that makes me shake my head is the semi circles where you stop to unload. I think we'd all much prefer a back in launch.

If I were King......

I'm still grumpy because it is beautiful today and I fished yesterday instead.
BlueTuna

Post by BlueTuna »

DaveR wrote:.... "The day ain't over."
"There's no such word as can't" - Dad
David
rocrfella

Post by rocrfella »

I use an inflatable kayak. Do you think I can launch at these floating platforms?
bigmackattack

Post by bigmackattack »

Hey guys. So this past weekend was great. The only thing i wish we had at the double branch area was moving water. A one tide day never makes for great fishing, but, I did catch plenty of the poor man's tarpon. I met a couple fellow kayak fisherman while i was launching at upper tampa bay. Its a pretty nice launch but i think the doc was made two thick, the kayak even though it is floating sits a good distance under the dock itself. I was planning on wading anyways so i found it easier to get in from the water rather than the dock itself.

The fishing piers are still in pretty bad shape, but maybe they will do improvements there next. All in all, not a bad day. I caught 25 ladyfish, catch and release of course, and was just baffled that they wanted the artificial bait over the nice shirmp i bought for em. No one really caught much else but it was still a beautiful day and i made some new friends on the water. What more could you ask for. Thanks for the information guys, it proved very helpful.

Hopefully this weekend was the first of many really nice ones. Im even looking forward to buying a tandem for the wife to join me going forward.

Next time ill remember my camera and take pictures.

I really like the Native tandems and the Hobies.

tight lines,

Jason
yaksailor

Post by yaksailor »

bigmackattack wrote:Hey guys. So this past weekend was great. The only thing i wish we had at the double branch area was moving water. A one tide day never makes for great fishing, but, I did catch plenty of the poor man's tarpon. I met a couple fellow kayak fisherman while i was launching at upper tampa bay. Its a pretty nice launch but i think the doc was made two thick, the kayak even though it is floating sits a good distance under the dock itself. I was planning on wading anyways so i found it easier to get in from the water rather than the dock itself.

The fishing piers are still in pretty bad shape, but maybe they will do improvements there next. All in all, not a bad day. I caught 25 ladyfish, catch and release of course, and was just baffled that they wanted the artificial bait over the nice shirmp i bought for em. No one really caught much else but it was still a beautiful day and i made some new friends on the water. What more could you ask for. Thanks for the information guys, it proved very helpful.

Hopefully this weekend was the first of many really nice ones. Im even looking forward to buying a tandem for the wife to join me going forward.

Next time ill remember my camera and take pictures.

Take my opinion and most everyone else's here on this forum, ditch the idea of a tandem, get your wife a yak of her own. You both will be better off and save alittle coin as well.. My 2 cents
I really like the Native tandems and the Hobies.

tight lines,

Jason
Casey US Navy Ret.
Heritage Redfish 12
Hobie Revolution 13.5