Label removal

Vercetti

Label removal

Post by Vercetti »

I picked up an old school SouthBend 59 - 9' rod at a shop during some of my recent travels. So I am starting to restore it just for fun. Its my first rod building activity and I was wondering if there was a good way to remove the label without causing much damage?

I would guess this rod is about 50 years old, I've started by dabbing with rubbing alchohol but can't seem to get any of the label corners to turn up so I can peel it back. Any ideas.

FYI the rod is in pretty bad shape and will take some work, I know. So if I loose the label its not a big deal, I just wanted to try and keep some authenticity. I do have to replace the reel seat, cork, and most of the guides, will probably just replace everything so it has consistancy.

Thanks guys.
- Jon
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

wd 40 ?
0 0 1
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

I'm not sure if I understand. Are you trying to save the label or are you trying to get rid of it. If it were me, I would try to save the label by protecting it on the rod. I don't think you will be able to get it off without destroying it, particularly since it is an old rod.
“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste....” — Rahm Emanuel
"Freedom!" - Sir William Wallace
Who is John Galt?
noles

Post by noles »

I would go with Bob on this one. Protect it with blue masking tape and do your restore. If you must remove it, duplicate the label in photoshop and create a label. I can send you a procedure on how to accomplish this....
"whose that little motherf***er with the fly rod"