Native Ultimate 14 - pics added

If you use one that is listed, please add a review. If a kayak or canoe that you would like to give a review of is not listed, please add it. This is also where you can show off your boat.
Rik

Post by Rik »

pbr wrote:Feathered paddle, the only way to go when there is wind,
If you feather when you are paddling into the wind, do you 'unfeather' (defeather?) when paddling down wind?
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Vlap

Post by Vlap »

Rik wrote:
Evan wrote:
1) Don't know why you wouldn't feather your paddle, unless you don't know how
Let's try it the other way, why feather?
pbr wrote:Feathered paddle, the only way to go when there is wind,
Why?
"It's always an adventure! " Cooknfish.
Rik

Post by Rik »

From previous discussions about this, the claim is that a feathered paddle offers less wind resistance on the blade that is up in the air.

Makes sense but then you never see them unfeather when going downwind when the wind will work with you.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
willemac
Supporter 2009 - 2012

Post by willemac »

HUH?
It's the other three quarters that can't be trusted!!!
Mac

Hobie AI
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by ChrisR »

Rik wrote:From previous discussions about this, the claim is that a feathered paddle offers less wind resistance on the blade that is up in the air.

Makes sense but then you never see them unfeather when going downwind when the wind will work with you.
I do this. The AT Paddle that I have has an easy to adjust ferrule. I change back and forth depending on the conditions.
Rik

Post by Rik »

I have tried that also, Chris. It just really messes up my stroke trying to switch back and forth.
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Rik wrote:I have tried that also, Chris. It just really messes up my stroke trying to switch back and forth.
Ya .....You will go Blind.......
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

Evan wrote:Damn, Teamshaft3, you've got everything but the kitchen sink in there!
(Or is that what's in the big gray tub?)
You'll have to ask Mako, Evan. ...I can only try to fish like him.
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by ChrisR »

Rik wrote:I have tried that also, Chris. It just really messes up my stroke trying to switch back and forth.
Yeah, I have been a bit tripped up with this problem as well. I find that I adjust to it with out too much trouble though. As with all thigs kayak fishing, I am sure it is simply a matter of preference.
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

ChrisR wrote:
Yeah, I have been a bit tripped up with this problem as well. I find that I adjust to it with out too much trouble though. As with all things kayak fishing, I am sure it is simply a matter of preference.
In this case I'd say it's a case of youth -vs- old. 8)
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
pbr

Post by pbr »

I feather the max to 65 degrees, matches my hand rotation no problem, a lot less resistance when paddling into the wind, try it both ways, it will convince you. As to downwind, the boat already does pretty good on its own.
Sledford

Post by Sledford »

I have the Ultimate and magic 14.5 both with rudders. It is a great addition to any fishing kayak. gree with Todd, I will always have a rudder.
Sam
Gibby3474

Post by Gibby3474 »

Some thoughts from a pretty veteran Ultimate 14.5 user:

Rudder really isn't needed. This kayak paddles very straight.

I always use my "seat raiser." I purchased it from Native Watercraft and I don't ever paddle or fish without it. Makes standing and sitting much easier.

I'm not a fan of anchoring and fishing at all. However, there are times when you have to anchore to fish effectively and the anchor trolley works very well for me.

Feathering the blades of my paddle is automatic. As most of you who feather your paddles know, you don't even have to think about it.

Ultimates paddle very nicely. I've made some lengthy trips without any problems.

Standing a fly fishing is very easy. Fighting fish while standing is no problem.

Best seat in the industry. Unlike Evan, my pants or the seat of my pants don't get wet from water gathering in the channels. I'm not sure why you have that problem, Evan?

Roomy. I can carrry a lot of gear. And most often I carry way too much.

The only problem (and it's minor) that I can see is that the Ultimate is not the boat you want when you're on big water. You don't want to launch it in a moderate surf. This hybrid is not self-bailing.

Poles nicely. I use a Wang Anchor Pin to pole. Nice combo here.

Steve
www.kayakfishingsarasota.com
http://gibbysfishingblog.blogspot.com/
NuCanoe Pursuit
NuCanoe Pro Staff
Aqua-Bound Pro Staff
gregfl

Post by gregfl »

I have an ultimate 14.5 in my flotilla. It is a great canoe.

(ducks and runs)
ridgewalker

Having fished with Gibby...

Post by ridgewalker »

I will say Gibby does take a lot of stuff with him! We carried his Ultimates to and from the bay and they were definitely loaded :!: No offense Gibby, but you're a foot taller and maybe 40-50 lbs heavier and several years younger than me. The Ultimates were heavy :lol:

Still I had a great time fishing with you! :D

Hope to do it again this March or April.
Evan

Post by Evan »

I'm pretty sure the standing water in the bottom of my Native comes from paddle drip as I stand and paddle (which I do a lot). Seems to be no way to avoid that (?) other than lugging a push pole around. I suppose a sponge would help...
Everyone is entitled to my opinion