Native Ultimate 14 - pics added

If you use one that is listed, please add a review. If a kayak or canoe that you would like to give a review of is not listed, please add it. This is also where you can show off your boat.
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Todd wrote:
DaveR wrote:
americanrobster wrote: The reason that I want one of these kayaks is due to not having scuppers that will crack and leak.
While that may be one reason I certainly wouldn't put it anywhere near the top of the list. I have owned many kayaks, from multiple manufacturers and have yet to have this problem.
I have owned many kayaks from four different manufacturers and have never had a scupper leak.
I have had a few myself without any scupper leaks.....My guess is most leaks are coming from people using the scupper as a stake-out pole slot and scupper carts will damage the scupper as well.... just my 2 cents..............
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
Evan

Kayak and Canoe reviews - Native Ultimate 14.5

Post by Evan »

I just "stole" a 14.5 tandem off Craig's List a couple months ago. It is indeed the best paddle craft I have ever used, and I have tried a LOT of them. Some thoughts:

1) raising the seat sounds like a good idea, but tends to make the kayak significantly more "tipsy". I fish the passes at night a lot, so this didn't work very well for me

2) Standing is only the beginning. You can actually turn 360 degrees (while fighting a snook intent on ducking under the nearby dock) and not have a problem

3) Water from paddle-splash tends to accumulate in the channels at the bottom, which soaks the underside of my pants. This is the only downside I've encountered so far. Installed a foam pad in the back so my gear stays nice and dry.

4) Don't waste money on the rudder. Learn to paddle straight!
Everyone is entitled to my opinion
Rik

Re: Kayak and Canoe reviews - Native Ultimate 14.5

Post by Rik »

Evan wrote:
1) raising the seat sounds like a good idea, but tends to make the kayak significantly more "tipsy". I fish the passes at night a lot, so this didn't work very well for me
I didn't mean to raise it all the time. Yes, it will get tippier as you raise it. In some situations, a raised seat would be very nice. Look at the WS Commander. They designed in a raised 'seat' for those times when you can sit up higher.
4) Don't waste money on the rudder. Learn to paddle straight!
It isn't while paddling when the rudder would come in handy. It is while drifting a flat, working a mangrove edge, etc. Those times when you are fishing but need to give the boat some direction.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Ray H

Post by Ray H »

Evan wrote:4) Don't waste money on the rudder. Learn to paddle straight!

Uh-oh...now there's a blast from the past. Can you tippytoe across the flats with one of these?
Roughing it smoothly
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Evan wrote:4) Don't waste money on the rudder. Learn to paddle straight!
Says the man without a rudder on his kayak.

You will find having a rudder on your kayak, with the type of fishing we do in Florida, is a necessity. I will never own another kayak without a rudder, and I know how to paddle straight. :wink:
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Evan

Post by Evan »

Hhmmm....looks like I opened a can of worms with my rudder comment. I'm the new guy here so I will defer to those with more experience on this. Let's just say my Ultimate 14.5 tracks like a dream (paddling or drifting) and I don't plan to clutter it up with a rudder (or any other line-snagging extra) any time soon.
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

Ray H wrote:...Can you tippytoe across the flats with one of these?
¿Like deees?
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
Evan

Post by Evan »

Damn, Teamshaft3, you've got everything but the kitchen sink in there!
(Or is that what's in the big gray tub?)
Rik

Post by Rik »

Evan wrote:Hhmmm....looks like I opened a can of worms with my rudder comment. I'm the new guy here so I will defer to those with more experience on this.
Ah, yes. The proper deference. We like that around here.

The rudder thing, or the "crutch" as it has been described in the past, is one of those things that gets discussed over and over and over. It's right along the lines of whether to feather your paddle or not.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

My name is Todd and I have a rudder and feather my paddle.
Paul
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Post by Paul »

I'm not a rudder fan either

I never found that rudder really helped me when I was drift fishing

If I had issue with the wind and the direction of Drift, I would use the Drift chute and adjust my angle (reference to the wind) with the anchor trolley

I'm going to rig and Rudder on a X-13 and try to bond with the whole rudder thing.......So I can be more like the Cool Kidz 8)

Represent - I do feather my Paddle
Paul Silvernail
"Pimpin' ain't easy....but it's neccessary"
Evan

Post by Evan »

OK, I'll press my luck here, in the interest of fostering a good discussion. No haters, please, I'm not trying to irk anyone, just interested in genuine feedback.

1) Don't know why you wouldn't feather your paddle, unless you don't know how

2) I think anchor trolleys are another un-necessary hassle and make too much noise besides

3) Never understood the benefit of a drift chute in a kayak (?), unless you toss it overboard after hooking a large tarpon to keep him from pulling you into the Gulf

4) Seems likely that most of my opinions are driven by the fact that I ONLY fish with fly, and long ago got tired of untangling my line from the various "extras" that supposedly make for a better kayaking experience (I don't even use a rodholder anymore)
Paul
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Post by Paul »

[quote="Evan"]OK,
2) I think anchor trolleys are another un-necessary hassle and make too much noise besides

3) Never understood the benefit of a drift chute in a kayak (?), unless you toss it overboard after hooking a large tarpon to keep him from pulling you into the Gulf

90% of the time I use a stakeout pole to anchor the kayak - if I'm in deep water or it is windy, then i would anchor. If you tie your anchor line to the side handle of the kayak would cause the kayak or canoe to lay sideways to the wind and the kayak would slap into the waves. Climbing to the bow of the kayak is not a "good way" to go either. so you trolley the anchor line to the bow or stern of the kayak, so the kayak lays into the wind properly.

My anchor trolley also doubles as a bow line or tether. which is manatory for tournaments and it is smart to "stay" with your kayak

Drift chute simply slows you down when you are drifting. Any breeze over 5 knots, which you stand up your kayak starts to haul asz. so i like the drift chute to control the speed of driftting....most caused by standing
Paul Silvernail
"Pimpin' ain't easy....but it's neccessary"
Rik

Post by Rik »

Evan wrote:
Let's try it the other way, why feather?
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Evan wrote:OK, I'll press my luck here, in the interest of fostering a good discussion. No haters, please, I'm not trying to irk anyone, just interested in genuine feedback.

4) Seems likely that most of my opinions are driven by the fact that I ONLY fish with fly, and long ago got tired of untangling my line from the various "extras" that supposedly make for a better kayaking experience (I don't even use a rodholder anymore)
No offense but it seems your opinions are driven by the fact you have not fished the flats of our area for a long time.
1- I agree, I used a straight paddle until I got a paddle that was only feathered. Now feathered is the only way to go for me.

2-One reason I have an anchor trolley is for the use of a drift chute and every now and then an anchor. It is nice to use a trolley to better position your boat when needed.

3-The use of a drift chute is very nice when it is windy out and you are blowing too fast across a fishy flat. I use my drift chute much more than my anchor. It allows you to slowly prospect a flat when the wind may blow you across it too quickly. A drift chute comes in handy on a boat like a native, again no offense, with higher sides that tend to catch more wind than a SOT kayak.

4-Come out to a PFTS event, we are always looking for more fly guys.

http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=29403
pbr

Post by pbr »

Feathered paddle, the only way to go when there is wind, I am still impressed with the Stinger stake out system, have a drift chute too, though I dont use it much.