Freedom Hawk 14 @ the art of fly fishing festival

If you use one that is listed, please add a review. If a kayak or canoe that you would like to give a review of is not listed, please add it. This is also where you can show off your boat.
finatic
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Freedom Hawk 14 @ the art of fly fishing festival

Post by finatic »

On Saturday I had the opportunity to do a presentation on kayak fishing/sight fishing at the Andy Thornal 'art of flyfishing festival' using the Freedom Hawk 14.
Word on this boat was it was heavy and slow and had a high price tag.

The truth is the boat is no more heavier than quite a few other boats on the market and with the removable stabilizers it cuts down the weight quite a bit. The price wasn't as bad as I thought for having the extras this boat offers and it is priced around retail of a Native Ultimate. Built in stabilizers, lean post, push pole, and an anchor boom. Slow? I couldn't tell you cause I only paddled/poled in an 80' pool! But, lets face it if your buying a boat for stability you are not gonna get the speed.

I first stepped into this boat while beginning my talk and stepped into a standing position. I immediately turned around 180 degrees demonstrating to my audience the incredible stability it offers. As I looked out the back I realized I didn't even put the stabilizers out! "Wow thats stable!" I then plopped down to a seated position with no problem and pulled the levers to put out the stabilizers with ease. It was very easy and did not require much effort. The mechanism was designed well and locks into place nicely when pulled in and/or out.
Poling this boat was great as there were no worries of keeping balance and the standing area is VERY comfortable on the legs and feet. The added lean post was cool to use when standing for awhile and to lean on for fly casting. There is a mounted strap to use for pulling yourself up from the seated position but, I mostly found myself using the lean post bar for getting up and down and especially for turning around in the boat while standing. It was great to have that security of something to hold onto. Turning the boat while paddling/poling wasn't too difficult even with the small area of a 40' wide by 80' long pool and dodging flyline shooting at you from all angles!
Very cool boat indeed. I would say if your looking for a kayak just for fishing especially to stand in comfortably and/or want the ultimate sight fishing kayak then this is the boat!
-Jeff Harrell
The artist formally known as Snookfinatic

finaticdesigns.com
Rik

Post by Rik »

So, when are you going to buy one?
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
finatic
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Post by finatic »

Rik wrote:So, when are you going to buy one?
Might have to be my next boat for sure. Thinking ahead my other choice would be an ultimate 14 to have the option of a second person for when little fin is bigger. But, I have awhile and can always put him in the front of the freedom as seen here w/ Capt. Jon Bull and his daughter.
The artist formally known as Snookfinatic

finaticdesigns.com
Shadowcast

Re: Freedom Hawk 14 @ the art of fly fishing festival

Post by Shadowcast »

I was looking for a review on this yak (I may be thinking of getting a couple) and never knew you put this pic on here, Jeff. That was a great day. What little experience I had with that yak that day....I can tell you that the FH 14 is more stable than some skiffs. Beach tarpon on fly is very do-able on this thing.
Join CCA!!!
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

These things are never resold once they are bought.
I looked all over the Internet for one.
Let me know if anyone knows where these things can be found used.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Keith B wrote:These things are never resold once they are bought.
I looked all over the Internet for one.
Let me know if anyone knows where these things can be found used.
Funny you say that, I have never known anyone who did not have one and get rid of it after a few trips.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
tackleman

Post by tackleman »

i have had my freedom hawk for almost 4 years, i love it Image
Capt. Adrian Englert
http://www.mytimecharters.com
Native Slayer Propel 13
perception tribute 14.0
Native Slayer Propel 13
Native Slayer Propel 13
bonefishwhisperer

Post by bonefishwhisperer »

I have said that all along...I also prove it daily...the Freedom Hawk is unbeatable and anybody that says different dont know much about flyfishing...I personally will challenge anybody alive kayak for kayak in a challenge, winner takes all...then again I said the same thing about my canoe :scratch: I have a rental program backed by Freedom Hawk and am fully sponsored by them...I will be getting more shortly...come try them out on bonefish/permit water and you wont go back to anything else

http://www.bonefishwhisperer.com/home/kayak-rentals/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gen 9:2 "And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered." .... even God likes Dreads....
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Bfw,
what are you going to do after you use them for a season and get the next models in? Will you be selling any of them?