Food saver

DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Food saver

Post by DaveR »

I don't feel like plopping down almost a hundred bucks for a vacuum sealer. Consumer reports says the cheapy battery powered one from ziplock is pretty darn good. I know the big ones are great but anybody have experience with the little guy?
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Best $100 I ever spent in my kitchen, do it Dave.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
Vlap

Post by Vlap »

If you freeze alot of food its worth the money to get a good setup.

I don't have any experience with the lil one but I wonder if battery power will provide enough power to really get the air out.
"It's always an adventure! " Cooknfish.
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

I use it often not just for freezing but also for marinating, it really pulls the marinade into the meat.

Also have the vacuum jars, which I keep my produce in, in the fridge keeps everything fresher for much longer.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
Vlap

Post by Vlap »

John wrote:I use it often not just for freezing but also for marinating, it really pulls the marinade into the meat.
Very good use. Look up sous vide. Interesting way of cooking using vac bags.
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Yes I've used that technique too Vlap, it's all the rage in europe right now, works great.
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

John wrote:...Also have the vacuum jars, which I keep my produce in, in the fridge keeps everything fresher for much longer.
You ever try these John?
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Now never used them the thing i dont like, is the idea of reusing the bags, be very easy to taint food with the taste of the previous occupant. With the Jars i can wash them out and re-use.
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Would you two Grahm Kerr wannabes get this thread back on track please. :wink:
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

It is on thread, buy the real deal and not the cheapo piece of crap. It will pay for itself within the year!
Rik

Post by Rik »

teamshaft3 wrote:
John wrote:...Also have the vacuum jars, which I keep my produce in, in the fridge keeps everything fresher for much longer.
You ever try these John?
Don't waste your money. My wife wasted mine.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Re: Food saver

Post by DaveR »

DaveR wrote: I know the big ones are great but anybody have experience with the little guy?

"SANCTUARY!!!"

mudfish

Re: Food saver

Post by mudfish »

DaveR wrote:
DaveR wrote: I know the big ones are great but anybody have experience with the little guy?
Ask Todd's wife. :wink:
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
Rik

Post by Rik »

I'd bet it would have taken less than 30 minutes.....
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

So those bags are crap Rik? They didn't convince me much!
Vlap

Post by Vlap »

I used those bags for a while and they seemed to work well for me.