Food saver

DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

They worked for me too. I'll give you a product review on my mini food saver. 20 bucks and 10 bucks on bags. I have harvesting in mind so I'll probably skunk out tomorrow.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

harvesting skunk? nice! :lol:
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
shallow minded II

Post by shallow minded II »

Buc was telling everyone how pleased he was with the vacum pump he got in Panama last year, why don't borrow his unit & see how you like it before buying one.
I always catch more & larger fish when I fish by myself. Stealth is the key.
justabucup

Post by justabucup »

shallow minded II wrote:Buc was telling everyone how pleased he was with the vacum pump he got in Panama last year, why don't borrow his unit & see how you like it before buying one.
Head for the mountains Ronnie. Head for the mountains.
Credo quia absurdum
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by ChrisR »

Any update on this Dave?
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Seems to be fine. I have some steaks in the freezer I stored the day I got it almost 3 months ago and no freezer burn. Has worked fine for fish but haven't managed to keep any for more than a couple weeks. I like it so far.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

DaveR wrote:Seems to be fine. I have some steaks in the freezer I stored the day I got it almost 3 months ago and no freezer burn. Has worked fine for fish but haven't managed to keep any for more than a couple weeks. I like it so far.
Which one did you end up buying?
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

The hand held Fresh Saver. 20 bucks.

"SANCTUARY!!!"

TampaJim

Post by TampaJim »

I have owned/tried everything from the handheld vampires to the high-dollar vacuum packers with the built-in storage and automated cutting tool. IMO, the winner is the plain old basic Seal-A-Meal with NO whistles and bells.

Retail on the basic Seal-A-Meal is $50. However, they can be had on eBay for $20-25 new in the box - just outbid/outsmart the hungry housewives on the site.

FYI, you can also get bags and marinating/storage canisters on eBay as well - just make sure you know the going price at the store so you don't overbid. Always watch the shipping and seller's rating and you will be just fine.

Jim -
texas

Re: Food saver

Post by texas »

yeah I have a foodsaver that I could not live without. I rarely use it to vacuum seal items, however, I ALWAYS use it to reseal potato chip bags, frozen food bags, etc...it preserve foods for 3 to 5 times longer than their regular life and to save money....it does take work and time!!... :-B
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Re: Food saver

Post by jbdba01 »

I used to saturate my wood chunks for my smoker much like the marinating of the meats.

Throw the chunks in the water - turn on vacuum. Good to go. Wood smokes longer, plus you get some steam. I always forgot to soak the wood until I started the fire.

Hmmm.....Boston Butts....
JB