Firsts

dunfly

Firsts

Post by dunfly »

I just finished my first spinning rod. I've always built fly rods, but got a super deal on some GL3 travel blanks. Besides being my first spinning rod, there are some other firsts connected with this rod.

It is the first rod I have finished using a cork grip that I built up and turned myself. It was done on a clamped hand drill and a wood brace for the end of the mandrel. Turning the grip was easy, but reaming it out was a bitch due to the hard burnt cork rings.

It was also the first rod I finished on a power wrapper. I built the wraper myself out of a small, low rpm motor from e-bay. It sure beats hand turning.

The guide size and placement was a learning process and I think I used guides that started out too large. I used the Mudhole guide spacing and guide recommendations and they are consistent with the guides on my production rods, but Noles and other builders seem to use smaller guides.

One feature I really like is the placement of the hook keeper. Most rods have it on the bottom, but a Boca rod I have has it on the right side. I like the side location, but I moved the keeper to the left side (crank side) and angled it down slightly. It is much easier to hook the lure into it than on the bottom or right side.

Specs: GL3 P842-3, 7 foot, 3 piece blank, 6-12# popping blank (mahogany colored)
Reel Seat: Fuji Deluxe
Guides: Fuji Alconites
Grips: Cork, mixed cork and burnt cork
Thread: Candy Apple red with gold trim
Last edited by dunfly on Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste....” — Rahm Emanuel
"Freedom!" - Sir William Wallace
Who is John Galt?
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Nice Job.................
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
noles

Post by noles »

Fantastic job on the grip! Rub some Tru-Oil Gun Stock Finish on the grip to bring out the detail on the grip.
"whose that little motherf***er with the fly rod"
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

Purty thing! :D
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
islander

Post by islander »

Really nice work, Dunfly!
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

noles wrote:Fantastic job on the grip! Rub some Tru-Oil Gun Stock Finish on the grip to bring out the detail on the grip.
Where do you get Tru-Oil? I can't seem to find it locally.
“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste....” — Rahm Emanuel
"Freedom!" - Sir William Wallace
Who is John Galt?
noles

Post by noles »

I've found them at Ace Hardware, Woodcraft & Wallyworld.
"whose that little motherf***er with the fly rod"
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

Fine looking rod there.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch