Tree-Bone

AM I Wrong, or is Snook Season Open ??

Post by Tree-Bone »

I thought Snook season opened September 1
How can you justify this :

http://www.finaticinshorecharters.com/J ... ament.html
gatordave

Post by gatordave »

It's probably a photo only contest. What they don't realize is that once you pull it out of the water to photo it under the new laws it constitutes possesion.
SRQGator
Grocery Yodeler

Post by SRQGator »

gatordave wrote:It's probably a photo only contest. What they don't realize is that once you pull it out of the water to photo it under the new laws it constitutes possesion.
They may have a tournament exemption from the FWC.
brokenarrowjbe

Post by brokenarrowjbe »

Snook season to keep is not open. To take pics, should be good to go. John
gatordave

Post by gatordave »

I did a little searching and found this. It is ok to possess for the purpose of taking a photo. And as far as snook being out of season that is only for keeping them and not for fishing for them so it looks like they didn't do anything wrong. Here is a link for possessions rules.
http://myfwc.com/docs/RulesRegulations/ ... ndling.pdf
Rik

Post by Rik »

per their rules:

11. All photos turned in must include angler number card, measuring board and entire fish to be eligible. Any photos not showing the required information will be penalized 2 inches, plus what the judges feel is the correct length.

This is a catch/photo/release tourney. Nothing wrong with that.

If you're thinking of entering, you have some stiff competition judging by last years winners.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
seeinred

Post by seeinred »

Rik wrote:
If you're thinking of entering, you have some stiff competition judging by last years winners.

Wow, 35 inches only took home 10th place... that is some stiff competition.
For more kayak fishing reports, tips, and fishing charters please visit;
http://tampabaykayakcharters.com/

Spencer
Rik

Post by Rik »

You probably recognize some of the names, Spencer. Kind of a who's who of big snook fishermen.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
clayking

Post by clayking »

According to wildlife records, 2% of snook caught and released die. Taking them out to photo and measure likely ups that %. I don't think that targeting fish out of season is such a good idea........................ck
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

clayking wrote:According to wildlife records, 2% of snook caught and released die. Taking them out to photo and measure likely ups that %. I don't think that targeting fish out of season is such a good idea........................ck
What difference does it make to that % if it's in season or out of season?
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
seeinred

Post by seeinred »

clayking wrote:According to wildlife records, 2% of snook caught and released die. Taking them out to photo and measure likely ups that %. I don't think that targeting fish out of season is such a good idea........................ck

Why not?

Spencer
Kpmiggs

Post by Kpmiggs »

I do not see the big deal with this tourney. In our PFTS there are times when the snook or trout are out of season. You never complained then.
TEAM PENETRATION - We Like to set our hooks Deep!
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

Here's the question you should be asking: Why, for a tournament that is organized under the words "Charity" do they pay out to 10 places?

These guys got ripped last year on the Florida Sportsman. The dude that posted it last year (Mahinis or something like that) is the king of photoshop. I've posted some of his work before.

Very shady to organize a tournament for "Charity" and then pay out to 10 places.
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
clayking

Post by clayking »

Needless to say, but if fishing one is very likely to catch a snook out of season, in fact I caught a nice one this morning, but he was instantly released, didn't even take him out of the water.

They are out of season for a reason, so why target them, wait until the spawn is over.

Haywood, I agree. I've been to quite a few charity events where sponsored gifts were given away, but not cash prizes..........................................ck
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

Same guy, just changed his username :roll:

$3000 for first palce last year. If I remember right, they only donated $2000 to the charity. I could be wrong.
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
seeinred

Post by seeinred »

clayking wrote:Needless to say, but if fishing one is very likely to catch a snook out of season, in fact I caught a nice one this morning, but he was instantly released, didn't even take him out of the water.

They are out of season for a reason, so why target them, wait until the spawn is over.

Haywood, I agree. I've been to quite a few charity events where sponsored gifts were given away, but not cash prizes..........................................ck

Around this time last year (or maybe it was the year before last, they all kind of mesh together after a while) there were several members of this board that had the same opinion you had until I posted research done by Ron Taylor himself that indicated catch and release fishing for snook during the spawn had little to NO effect on their spawning rituals whats-o-ever.

I guess I'll have to dig through google or the archives on this site until I find it again.

Spencer