Anchor Question...

scotty14

Anchor Question...

Post by scotty14 »

I have been using a 5 lb dumbbell as an anchor. It slides a bit when I get some wind or current.

What would you guys recommend I switch to? Would a 1 lb claw anchor hold better than a 5 lb dumbbell?

How about a mushroom style anchor?

Thanks in advance!
-Scotty-
-------------------------
<Heritage> Redfish 12 (Khaki)
7TH AVEcrewKyle

Post by 7TH AVEcrewKyle »

I think a smaller claw will grab the bottom better. If you want, you can close it up when you want to pull the boat while wading.
click clack BOOM
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

I get much better results from my mushroom anchor than a 3lb claw anchor used previously. Then again it weighs about 10 lbs but it's never slid on me!

If you do a search you'll find there's plenty of anchor talk posted here. :wink:
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
Tide1on

Post by Tide1on »

I 've been using the 8lb mushroom style. Personally I like them better for the following reasons...

1. Quieter - Hardly no noise while deploying.
2. Doesn't collect sea grasses or destroy them as much.
3. Sand and/or mud rinses off easier.
4. Most have a thick rubber coating that decreases scratches to your vessel.
5. Can be used to keep your tethered vessel behind you while wading too... Just pass the anchor line through one of the holes at the base of the anchor and then secure it to your vessel. (learned this one from Special"K", Oops!!! :oops: I meant SilverK).

When it comes down to it... Its a personal preference, do what works best for you and you'll always be pleased!!!
NATIVE Redfish14
Your Wallet - The one place Democrats are willing to drill

Steve
Redfisher

Post by Redfisher »

I think the 3 pound folder kind is great but I like Steve's ideas too. It's just heavier.
The nice thing about the fold up kind is that I can store mine in a flush mount behind me while paddling.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

teamshaft3 wrote:I get much better results from my mushroom anchor than a 3lb claw anchor used previously. Then again it weighs about 10 lbs but it's never slid on me!

If you do a search you'll find there's plenty of anchor talk posted here. :wink:
I hate those noisy, collapsible claw anchors. But when I was using my 10lb mushroom anchor and went to hand it off to Norm on the water, he about had a heart attack.
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!
Talltails

Post by Talltails »

I like a small lewmar claw anchor. It grabs great in the sand or mud.
jsuber

Post by jsuber »

The 3lb Lewmar cost 7.99 at West Marine
Fish the Forgotten Coast.
brokenarrowjbe

Post by brokenarrowjbe »

I just got the 3 pound folding. The 1.5 pound one did not hold a couple of times in the sand with a good wind. have not used it with blades deployed, but just chunking it in with the blades folded it held fine today.
Used a window weight for a while but was really heavy. Good luck, the mushroom sounds like a good alternative, John
Dreads

Post by Dreads »

I use a 5lb downrigger ball.
Native Ultimate 14.5
WS-T120