FL Keys Advice

Naples to West Palm and south, including the Keys
dsaunier

FL Keys Advice

Post by dsaunier »

Hello everyone,

Family, friends, and I are taking a trip down to the keys in the first week of October. Between the bunch of us, only a few have been down there before. We're bringing an 18' flats boat and a few yaks <--- very funny. In looking at houses on the water to rent for a week, I've seen a lot of 4br houses on the water with dock for $2200-$2500/wk. My question is.... where in the middle to lower keys will be the best spot for fishing with the flats boat, shopping for the women, and also have enough beaches for people to migrate to? I've been looking at Marathon cause it is only 55min from the action of Key West and rates seem more reasonable than the lower keys. I'd appreciate some input from the more seasoned folk. Thanks in advance for any help.
Last edited by dsaunier on Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,

Derek
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

Try this link...

http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtop ... light=keys
I've been looking at Marathon cause it is only 55min from the action of Key West and rates seem more reasonable than the lower keys.

Good choice..send the gals to KW to shop and fish your hearts out..

Again if your'e bringing kayaks Keoghs book is indispensable.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
dsaunier

Post by dsaunier »

Thank you sir. I'll take a look at the book. So Marathon is a decent location for all the above I take it?
Regards,

Derek
TK

Post by TK »

Marathon will be a great place to go for fishing. Not so much for shopping, so the gals will have to go to KW. Also, not sure there are great beaches in the keys in general or in Marathon specifically.
"I am trying to catch tarpon, but these snook keep getting in the way!"
dsaunier

Post by dsaunier »

Well, we can fish anywhere from what I understand. I hear good things about Islamorado for fishing, but that is farther North. From what I understand, there obviously aren't any large beaches in the Keys like Miami or Clearwater... That's fine with us, I just wanna make sure that there is something to do other than wait for us to get back from fishing every day for the women. They won't care if the beaches aren't as sprawling and nice as the big foo-foo beaches. Or are they really that sparse and impossible to find?
Regards,

Derek
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

I just wanna make sure that there is something to do other than wait for us to get back from fishing every day for the women. They won't care if the beaches aren't as sprawling and nice as the big foo-foo beaches. Or are they really that sparse and impossible to find?
Considering the keys are simply coral atols surrounded mostly by mangroves yes the beaches as we know them are rather thin and far between.

Try Curry Hammock or Bahia Honda State Parks also Sombrero Beach Marathon...Sombrero is a county park and doesn't have a fee for entry.

On a side note...If they are at all into fishing try getting them to go one morning or afternoon aboard the Marathon Lady Charter... Can you say fried or grilled yellowtail for supper,,,,,.mmmmm,,,,,,yummy

Even though my wife also kayak fishes with me she enjoyed the heck outta fishing off the ML.

Don't foget a stop at www.robbies.com/ trust me on this one everyone will enjoy it.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
dsaunier

Post by dsaunier »

Thanks for the info. Marathon sounds like a good candidate. The women will probably do a little fishing on and off, so it sounds like Marathon will be a good destination with enough mix of activities.

I'll check out the beaches you mentioned as well as the restaurant.
Regards,

Derek
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

I'll check out the beaches you mentioned as well as the restaurant.

It ain't about the restaurant.... It is mediocre at best :wink:

It is about
http://www.robbies.com/tarpon.htm

Watch your fingers.... :lol:
FrankC

Post by FrankC »

Take your crew to the Key Colony Inn for a meal while you are there. Good pricing and excellent meals.