NCAngler Meet and Greet III

Let's hear reports from other places.
Erick
"Mister OLC"
"Mister OLC"

NCAngler Meet and Greet III

Post by Erick »

This past weekend met up with about 50 other kayak anglers for the NCAngler Meet and Greet III.....on the same lines as the Paddle Ins. There is a small lunch fee, as the guy who coordinates this buys food and drinks for everyone and his dad sets up a ten, grill and does all the cooking. Well worth the $3.

Fort Fisher is similar to Fort Desoto but with Jax landscape. Best way I can explain it. We launched at Federal Point Boat Ramp at the end of Fort Fisher, which is south end of Kure Beach near Wilmington. A popular fishing locating for kayakers, and boaters alike. The "bay" area is protected from the Cape Fear River by a long wall and from the Atlantic Ocean by a strip of beach.

Tried out a new rod from Quantum. I bought two 7ft models one in Medium Light and the other in Light. It is their Specks and Reds series of rod. Same short butt handle as the Cabo. But different guide placement. More in line with the Tidemasters, Falcons and Redbones I used to fish. The Cabo has 9 guides, and uses smaller ones all the way up the rod from about the 6th guides. Giving you smoother and longer cast. This rod cast well, and it was fun catching a fish on something lighter than my normal medium rods.

The wind was blowing pretty good so we started fishing along the wall to have protection but also with the tide still going out, trying to fish some of the deeper holes along the wall. Pic of a friend and the wall:

Pic of Scott and a couple of other kayakers:

Fishing was fairly slow most of the day. I managed to catch 1 red about 19 inches or so on an Exude Dart, Golden Bream...actually the same one I caught the big trout in Jax...it was my last one in that color. But this is my first fish on three outings to the coast....so happy about that:

Scott managed two smaller reds around 16 inches and when I went to photo one of them....he kindly released it back into the water by accident. You know it is hard to catch a fish in mid air after it slips out of your hands. Met a guy on the water named Phil with a decent flounder going home with him for dinner:

He also had a nice trout in the cooler. There were several folks I talked to during the day who had caught some fish, one guy slammed twice but nothing real big. A couple of 22 inch reds were caught......but it was a good time. Here are some other photos from the day:

Really it was a better day for this:

And this is how it was for most of the afternoon...hard to sight fish:

Last edited by Erick on Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jim Valvano

{{>=====<}} <'))))><ing
pag_yaker

Post by pag_yaker »

Nice report !
Jerry White
Contributing author for Paddling.net since 2005
Contributing author for Florida Sportsman Magazine
Member - Florida Outdoor Writers Association
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

Looks like fun regardless of the weather. Nice crowd.

So what's the story to the custom "evil Sheepshead" kayak?
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
Rik

Post by Rik »

In rough water like that, I bet you were glad you were in your super stable Wilderness Systems kayak.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Nice Report..........
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
Erick
"Mister OLC"
"Mister OLC"

Post by Erick »

The paint job was for fun and he will use it to hunt.......

Rik, I wish I had a boat with a motor. Paddling in the wind and current is not my favorite thing to do. I have never been a fan of peddle drives......but.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jim Valvano

{{>=====<}} <'))))><ing
americanrobster

Post by americanrobster »

Great fishing, Great place to try out a new rod, and a $3 lunch. Kick Azz.
Rob

Heritage Redfish 12'

Heritage Redfish 14'