14-mile Tampa Bay algae bloom threatens fish

DayumSon

14-mile Tampa Bay algae bloom threatens fish

Post by DayumSon »

Dayum Son!! I thought I was hearing things last night on the radio, but I was Wrong!!! BLAH!!

By Craig Pittman, Times Staff Writer

Published Thursday, June 25, 2009

One of the most extensive algae blooms in Tampa Bay's history stretches more than 14 miles from Safety Harbor to Weedon Island, and scientists predict it soon could lead to fish kills.

The algae bloom was most likely fueled by pollutants — fertilizers, yard waste and animal feces — that were washed into the bay from the rains that hit the region over the past two months, according to Pinellas County officials. The recent heat wave has helped spur the explosive growth of the microscopic algae.

Hillsborough County's Environmental Protection Commission officials first noticed the bloom on June 4. It later showed up as a thick brown streak across the bay in an aerial photo snapped by a visiting California scientist who was soaring above the Howard Frankland Bridge on June 11. The size surprised experts.

"It's been pretty expansive," said Ed Sherwood, a scientist with the Tampa Bay Estuary Program.

Lately the bloom has been thickest in the waters along the Courtney Campbell Parkway. One scientist described the bloom there as being "like soup."

More than one type of algae appears to be involved in the bloom, but the predominant type is called Pyrodinium bahamense.

That's the same species that gives one of Puerto Rico's tourist attractions, Phosphorescent Bay, its name, said Cindy Heil, senior research scientist with the state's marine science laboratory in St. Petersburg. On a dark night, when stirred up, Pyrodinium produces a soft, greenish glow.

That same species has been documented in Tampa Bay since the 1960s, she said. This is the second summer in a row with a Pyrodinium bloom in Tampa Bay. Last year's bloom, which occurred in July, killed catfish, menhaden, pinfish, triggerfish, puffer fish, spadefish, stingrays, blue crab, brittle stars and small Florida crown conch.

Pyrodinium has been known to produce a toxin that's poisonous to shellfish, although so far this year's bloom has not affected the oyster and clam beds in Boca Ciega Bay, Heil said.

What killed the fish last year wasn't poison but rather a lack of oxygen, she said. At night the blooming algae absorb all the oxygen in the water, leaving none for any fish nearby. They suffocate.

An algae bloom of this size could produce a large fish kill, but so far that hasn't happened. Pinellas officials are "just keeping our fingers crossed that we can escape that problem this year," said Kelli Hammer-Levy of the county Department of Environmental Management.

No one knows what caused last year's bloom to subside, or what made this year's bloom so huge. But if the nutrient-rich pollution stops flowing, or the heat eases up, the bloom may break up.

Although this bloom is relatively large, it's not the largest in Tampa Bay's history, said Heil. The biggest was a 1971 Red Tide bloom from the Sunshine Skyway bridge up into Old Tampa Bay. It left thousands of dead fish in the canals and bayous in St. Petersburg, and fishermen reported shark feeding frenzies in the upper bay, she said.

County and state officials are monitoring the bloom and sampling the water regularly to try to predict any further changes. The next sampling will occur July 1.
"I once cried because I did not have any shoes to wear.... until I met a man with no feet"

Dayum Son!
DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

Keep that mess NOTE
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.
stealth14

Post by stealth14 »

paddled thru this sludge 2 weekends ago in safety harbor. was really thick then. looked almost like oil slick in water, and on boat when i got back in. can't be good for fish at all.
Hatch

Post by Hatch »

The algae bloom was most likely fueled by pollutants — fertilizers, yard waste and animal feces — that were washed into the bay from the rains that hit the region over the past two months, according to Pinellas County officials.

When we will learn ??!!!!???????!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Hatch wrote:
The algae bloom was most likely fueled by pollutants — fertilizers, yard waste and animal feces — that were washed into the bay from the rains that hit the region over the past two months, according to Pinellas County officials.

When we will learn ??!!!!???????!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Flo, you know - never!
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
CooKnFish

Post by CooKnFish »

And the bubbler off the Bayside Bridge has nothing to do with it... :roll:
Paddles - they aren't just for the bedroom anymore.

~Mark~
Hatch

Post by Hatch »

Flo, you know - never!
I'm afraid you're 100% correct. :cry: Sometimes I just have to scream at the stupidity.
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

There has been success at making T-Bay so much cleaner than it was. We have to hope that such a big bloom and the publicity will help to force some additional changes.

(That - or they are going to need to dig a very big channel from Safety Harbor into the Gulf to let the water flush in and out........)
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!
seeinred

Post by seeinred »

It happens every year around this time it seems like. Last year the water was a rusty orange-ish color.

One morning when tarpon fishing the upper bay we found that from the HF bridge north the water had that strange rust colored tint to it, and there was dead fry bait all over the surface. The tarpon were actually rolling up and eating huge mouthfuls of dead fry off the surface... very strange. It didn't take long before they vacated the area, hopefully this bloom doesn't ruin the late summer fishing.
For more kayak fishing reports, tips, and fishing charters please visit;
http://tampabaykayakcharters.com/

Spencer
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=29134&st

Post by Norm »

I remember last year when we were doing the Safety Harbor to 4th St. leg of Bill's PATB there was the same type of thing going on. Common sense should tell you with the fact that you have only two openings on the Courtney Campbell, your have severely restricted the water flow in Upper Tampa Bay, that coupled with the higher temperature of the water, you have a prime environment for some sort of alge bloom.
Of course the added rainfall and runoff all adds to the equation, but water flow is I think the major cause. Just my humble opinion :roll:
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld
Fishaddict
Supporter 2013

Post by Fishaddict »

I think we all need to get with our elected city, county folks to get this matter staffed and discussed and then get some answers.. Solution may be difficult but whatever it is needs to be done.

I'll fish where there is plenty of water turnover. Johns Pass is one place.

Ft D is another..
[b][i]Have Boat ... Will Fish[/i][/b]
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Post by Norm »

I have to believe it would greatly improve the water quality in the north end of Tampa Bay if there were at least two more bridges on the Courtney Campbell...but with times being like they are...I doubt you would ever see that posed.
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Fishaddict wrote:I think we all need to get with our elected city, county folks to get this matter staffed and discussed and then
though them all in the bay!
James

"... but home to the bank came he, and the remorseless reel gathered up the thread of his life inch by inch." -Kipling
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Post by Norm »

Rifleman wrote:
Fishaddict wrote:I think we all need to get with our elected city, county folks to get this matter staffed and discussed and then
..that would be THROW :roll: and if we are going to do that...PLEEEASE :!: Let's start in Washington :!:
Mark R

Re: http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=29134&am

Post by Mark R »

Norm wrote:
Rifleman wrote:
..that would be THROW :roll: and if we are going to do that...PLEEEASE :!: Let's start in Washington :!:
Not to get in to politics, but I hope you are referring to congress.
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Re: http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=29134&am

Post by Norm »

Mark R wrote:
Norm wrote:
Rifleman wrote: though them all in the bay!
Not to get in to politics, but I hope you are referring to congress.
That is where I would start :!: :wink: