rod building

brokenarrowjbe

rod building

Post by brokenarrowjbe »

The guides I was going to get to replace the ones on my ugly stick are more than the ugly stick. How hard is it to build a rod? I ordered the mudhole catalog. Any recommendations for a blank? Reel seat? Any help towards goal of useful and durable rod appreciated. Thanks, John
noles

Re: rod building

Post by noles »

brokenarrowjbe wrote:The guides I was going to get to replace the ones on my ugly stick are more than the ugly stick. How hard is it to build a rod? I ordered the mudhole catalog. Any recommendations for a blank? Reel seat? Any help towards goal of useful and durable rod appreciated. Thanks, John
If you're replacing the guides on the Ugly stick, stick with the Fuji hardloy. It's probably better than what was on the rod. They're inexpensive.

How hard is it to build a rod? Not hard at all. Check out Mudhole's site and there's some intro into rod building tutorials. Better yet find someone who builds rod and see how they do it.

You have to be more specific on the rod you're planning to build before anyone can recommend blanks and components. I'm partial to Fuji componenst and blanks by St. Croix, G Loomis, CTS, and Lamiglas.

Where the heck is Citra?
"whose that little motherf***er with the fly rod"
brokenarrowjbe

Post by brokenarrowjbe »

North of Ocala, South of Gainesville. Mostly redfish and trout. May try to go south for tarpon later on. Ordered Mudholes cata log last night. Thanks, John
Rik

Re: rod building

Post by Rik »

noles wrote:Where the heck is Citra?
Get out much? It's home of the Pineapple Orange. Plus, you can't drive through Citra without stopping at The Orange Shop. It's a local landmark, been there forever.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
brokenarrowjbe

Post by brokenarrowjbe »

Quite a bit. The Orange shop is "closed for the season". Still a nice little store. Trying to hit the redfish early in the Am but still no partner, Trying to follow good water safety, but the urge to kayak is strong. John