PFTS Slam Rule Changes

Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

PFTS Slam Rule Changes

Post by Todd »

As always the PFTS will remain a slam (snook, redfish, trout) tournament. In every event the largest slam wins.

In the past if no slam was caught the winnner fell to whatever angler caught the three largest fish.

That will change in the PFTS in 2009-2010. In future events the largest of 2/3 of a slam will beat out the three largest fish.

For Example-

Rik catches a 20" trout and a 25" snook, I catch three reds totaling 90". Who wins? Rik does based on his 2/3 of a slam. So you could sit on a redfish hole all day and catch 90" of redfish but the guy with any amount of 2/3 of a slam will win in next years event.

If no 2/3 of a slam is caught than three largest fish will still win.
Last edited by Todd on Wed May 20, 2009 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Rik

Post by Rik »

Thank you for being generous.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

The above scenario is absurb. Todd catches 90"s and Rik catches 45". much less two fish?? :shock: :lol: :lol: Come on :lol:

I like the change, wonder how it came about???? :wink:
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
Rik

Post by Rik »

My guess is that someone whined long and loud.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
justabucup

Post by justabucup »

Rik wrote:My guess is that someone whined long and loud.
and it is your site
Credo quia absurdum
Rik

Post by Rik »

justabucup wrote:
Rik wrote:My guess is that someone whined long and loud.
and it is your site
Correction - our site
gatordave

Post by gatordave »

I think it is a great plan. I know that anyone could easily catch 200" of trout. It takes alot more talent to add a red and a snook in the mix.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

The rule change came from the DOA tournament I recently attended. When they said how the event would be scored I had a "Well why didn't I think of that" moment.

It forces anglers to change tactics and not sit on one hole all day. Lets hope it works.
Rik

Post by Rik »

I think it is a good change. The Perico event was a good example of the reasoning behind it.

Not knocking the winners of that event at all. They caught more fish of any type than I did and they fished - and won - within the rules at the time. Got that guys (redfisher, fishmaster & countryboy)? Set that hair on your neck back down.

For what we try to create - a challenge - this new rule is a good rule.
gatordave

Post by gatordave »

I think a good way to do it would be the slam first. If that don't happen then the best 2 species total. Then if that don't happen divide it 3 ways for the best fish in each catagory.
fishmaster892

Post by fishmaster892 »

Sounds good to me
Emotion Grand Slam Angler
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

gatordave wrote:I think a good way to do it would be the slam first. If that don't happen then the best 2 species total. Then if that don't happen divide it 3 ways for the best fish in each catagory.
If no one catches two than it reverets back to total inches.

First-Slam (snook, redfish, trout)

If no slam caught-

Second-2/3 of a slam.

If no 2/3 caught-

Third-largest total of three fish. Snook is first, three redfish is second, three trout is third.

The original rule came about because the OLC was always a three biggest fish tournament. When the PFTS was born from the OLC I changed it to a slam tournament. Catching a slam causes an angler to think outside the box and chnage tactics and areas within the boundaries.
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

But what if one person catches a 29" trout and a 14"red. Another person catches a 30 Snook and a 14" red. Isn't the guy with the trout & Red combo truly a better catch., due to the fact that the Snook is just average and the trout is a Gator ?
I don't know how you guys put up with all these stupid questions. Before Rik says" what's it matter to you , you never show up to these events anyway" I'm bored and it's a rainy night figured I'd pour some gas on the fire.
0 0 1
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

What's it matter to you , you never show up to these events anyway. :wink:
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

I did once, even have the trophy to prove it. I'd go to more of them but checkin is always so damn early. Nobody ever catches a fish before 9:30 anyway so why is check in at O dark thirty ? Now a brunch tournament, a few bloody mary's couple of plates of food. Then a nice padle around in the sunshine, little nap out on some island. Sounds much more civilized.
0 0 1
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

shamus wrote:I did once, even have the trophy to prove it. I'd go to more of them but checkin is always so damn early. Nobody ever catches a fish before 9:30 anyway so why is check in at O dark thirty ? Now a brunch tournament, a few bloody mary's couple of plates of food. Then a nice padle around in the sunshine, little nap out on some island. Sounds much more civilized.
Shamus - you are the man, dude.
(And I was there when you rec'd that trophy!)

Any idiot can catch a quality fish early in the morning. It takes real men and women to catch fish in the middle of the day.

Let's just plan our own Brunch Tourney. (SOTE, of course.) I think I already have two sponsors.
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!