whats guide sizes do i use?

abz400

whats guide sizes do i use?

Post by abz400 »

what the best guide size to use on a 7' ,7'3" spinning rod?i have everthing except the guides.what do all you pros use.
go get your string pulled!
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

I am by no means an expert on spinning rods. I'm building my first spinning rod now. Based on the Mudhole tackle website guide spacing chart, I ordered Alconite guides in 30, 20, 16, 10, 8, 7, 7, with a 6 tiptop. This is what the website indicated, however, the Fuji concept system would seem to indicate a different layout.

http://www.mudhole.com/docs/fuji/spinla ... 8Ta38Oaxb0
“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste....” — Rahm Emanuel
"Freedom!" - Sir William Wallace
Who is John Galt?
noles

Post by noles »

dunfly wrote:I am by no means an expert on spinning rods. I'm building my first spinning rod now. Based on the Mudhole tackle website guide spacing chart, I ordered Alconite guides in 30, 20, 16, 10, 8, 7, 7, with a 6 tiptop. This is what the website indicated, however, the Fuji concept system would seem to indicate a different layout.

http://www.mudhole.com/docs/fuji/spinla ... 8Ta38Oaxb0
You're better off with the concept system than the guide chart from Mudhole. Depending on what reel you plan on putting on the rod but for a typical inshore rod (6-12# using a 2000-2500 series rod) your first guide should be a 25 or even a 20. I typically go 25, 12, 7 (at choke) then 7's for the rest of running guides. I typically will use 9 sometimes 10 guides on a 7' rod.
"whose that little motherf***er with the fly rod"
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

Thanks noles. I should have consulted with you prior to ordering the guides. Once I got them, I didn't like the layout. Hopefully I can replace some of them locally and get the set right.
Who is John Galt?
noles

Post by noles »

dunfly wrote:Thanks noles. I should have consulted with you prior to ordering the guides. Once I got them, I didn't like the layout. Hopefully I can replace some of them locally and get the set right.
You can always tell me what you need and I can get them for you.
"whose that little motherf***er with the fly rod"
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

Thanks noles, but I found the replacement guides I need at Betts in Largo. I'm all set now and about to embark on my first spinning rod.
Who is John Galt?