2/8/09 Fly Report, the Quest for Sheepies

Flamingo to Big Bend
Lazyloop

2/8/09 Fly Report, the Quest for Sheepies

Post by Lazyloop »

This past Sunday, somewhere in Manatee county, I was joined by my wife in round 2 of my ongoing quest to figure out the lowly sheepie, on fly. The tide was about half way full, it was a beautiful blue bird day and the wind wasn’t bad. I started in thigh deep water along a mud/sand bottom with patchy oysters. The wind was light enough that the sight window had opened to 30’ along the shore. This allowed a much longer cast and with a dime size rug yarn crab on a 12’ leader and a 6 wt rod it was quite stealthy. So I started to wade.

As I approached an oyster covered point a nice red with big shoulders was grubbing for a crab and I slowly and quietly worked a little closer. We were both in the zone and I had the advantage. I no sooner had rolled the line out, lifted it into the air into a back cast when……..BLAHAAAAAAAA Woosh…… a G.D. airboat turns the point, running right on the shoreline and spins to a stop not 75’ from me!!!!!! I no longer remember what happened to the cast or the red, I was to pissed to care. Then he almost got blindsided by his buddy, that was right behind him and turning the corner in step, they were followed by no less than six other airboats!!!!! They all fanned out and regrouped and headed off to race those 8 cylinder beasts down another quiet mangrove lined shore. I had been hearing them earlier, waaaaay off but I must have tuned them out for a half hour or so and when they were on their way to greet me. They are definitely much quieter coming at you than going away. So un-cool. They blew the fish off whole next flat and this was where I normally find lots of reds (see last weeks fly report).

I grabbed a cold drink of water and cooled off for a while to let the flat settle. After a half hour or so and a little paddle to a pocket of oysters in the corner of an adjacent flat, I found it, Nirvana, a few Sheepies milling and crabbing. The sight window shrunk to 20’ with a slight ripple outside of that in which I could still make out silhouettes. A nice sheepie was sitting in a sand hole so I rolled out the line and after a short back cast sent it out. The fly landed about 2’ aside and beyond the fish. (After learning last time not to let em look at it to long) I did a few quick 3” strips and let it set. The pectoral fins showed he was interested so I repeated and when the fly set down he was on it, it looked like he actually pushed it into the bottom to get it. The line flicked and I set the hook. Sheep on! After, a few short runs and a lot of figure 8 maneuvers it was at hand. Nice!

The ultimate Crab Crusher

After that I resumed the wade and had a few sheepies refuse the crab, but I learned something from each one. Finally, I picked up an 18” red and it appeared as if the flat was coming back to life. However, it was time to go. I’ll be back, hopefully without all the airboat traffic.
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by ChrisR »

Sweet report.
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Well done! Anybody can catch reds on the fly. Wellll, anybody but me.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Very nice, what species is next?
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

WTG!
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.
1okbyme2

Post by 1okbyme2 »

Ahhh....such is the challenge grasshopper. Way to go.
"They paved paradise and put up a parking lot" Joni Mitchell