Kayak color

TerryW

Kayak color

Post by TerryW »

What is the present thinking on the color choice for kayaks per fishing? I initially went with a boring beige for fear the fish could notice bright colors. I know have a bright orange and like the fact that it's easily visible.

If you were buying a new kayak, would you care about the color?
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!
Redfisher

Post by Redfisher »

I just don't want a color that will fade and look really bad.
I had a red Prowler that turned pink/orange. :(
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

I don't think it really matter too the fish. A few years ago I would have said a bright colored boat when Tapon fishing off the beaches so you can be seen by boaters . Today there are so many people out there in so many different colored kayaks, canoes , innertubes I don't think it matters, your never alone.
0 0 1
MrSpectaculous

Post by MrSpectaculous »

Not many white boats in this area. High visability, cool in summer...
I think I can dance.
Bill
Ultimate 14.5
Purple Emotion GS
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Camo.
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
Paul
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Re: Kayak color

Post by Paul »

TerryW wrote:
If you were buying a new kayak, would you care about the color?

I get this question ask to me all the time

I tell people to choose what color they like

Lighter colors show less scratches

If you are thinking a safety then go with a brighter color.

I think a bright paddle is as important as the color of the kayak. All kayaks disappear into the horizon 1/4 mile away, but you can see the a bright colored paddle dipping up and down

I have only sold a few white kayaks, they are actually pretty sharp.
Paul Silvernail
"Pimpin' ain't easy....but it's neccessary"
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=27380&st

Post by Norm »

Well I have had yellow and have a red boat now which I fish alot :!: I can't say the fish have been bothered by the color, but I have to agree with Ryan about the fading....particularly Red. I still like the color, but do have to pay more attention to it with the protectant to keep the color looking right.
I really want one of the Native Elites in fiberglass. I think it will hold the color better. I definitely feel more visible...but I also have added alot of yellow to my boat. Both red and yellow have been good about not showing scratches.
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld
Shep

Post by Shep »

I bought the yellow because I feel safer, being more easily seen. Not to mention the speed factor. :wink:
New place, new fishing adventures.
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

Good comments and information. Thank you.

Since I often fish alone in "stinkpotted" areas, I think I'll stay with the bright colors. My orange Hobie "lives" on the roof of my truck & I haven't noticed any fading. I've had it for a year & do use the 303 stuff on it occasionally.
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!
CooKnFish

Re: http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=27380&am

Post by CooKnFish »

Norm wrote:Well I have had yellow and have a red boat now which I fish alot :!:
Ya know, since "red disappears in the water" I bet Norm looks like Wonder Woman in her invisible jet to the fish. :lol:

I have owned just about every color made and have seen no difference in the effect it has on fish. It is all in your approach. The pressure wake put off by your boat is what spooks the fish, not the color.
Paddles - they aren't just for the bedroom anymore.

~Mark~
FrankC

Post by FrankC »

I favor bright colors and own variations of yellow or orange boats. I have not yet added color to my paddle blades, but that would be a very good thing to do. Movement is easier to spot than fixed objects, so the paddles are indeed very important to this equation.

One warning about white is that breaking waves are white. You stand a better chance of being spotted with something which would stand out against white. Blue dissapears faster than other colors from what I have heard.

I don't think boat color is that much of a factor for the fish. The bottom of any color boat is darkened by shade and fish will pick up vibrations from any boat. Their lateral lines are not just for show :D
Rik

Post by Rik »

I prefer colors that blend in. I'd rather not be seen. I'll get myself out of the way of any power boats.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Blindmullet

Post by Blindmullet »

I think the natural colors are better because they hide all the dings/scratches better.
Team Pro Bass "Fishing Legendz"
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

I have a red Wilderness System kayak, it stays in the sun all day, it has never faded.

I will never get another brightly colored kayak again, I don't want to be seen from miles away. As Rik stated, I will get myself out of the way.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
hooknsnook

Post by hooknsnook »

a black one for night fishin :D

i now have a bright orange heritage and love it ..ive seen wat a drinkin boatr can do out there :shock:
i like to drink cold beer :)
srsfsu

Post by srsfsu »

I prefer the light colors because they hide scratches better.

I had a dark green kayak and while it never faded, it did show every little mark and the bottom looked terrible.