Mullet on a Fly?

Uncle Ji

Mullet on a Fly?

Post by Uncle Ji »

Just curious, any of you here ever target Mullet using a algae imitation fly? Right in canal in my back yard there are large mullet, and even larger Milkfish which are herbivores though they will take white bread for bait and some even use white bread imitations after getting them used to eating bread and chumming the water then throwing the bread fly in among the bread chum pieces. Just want to try and be more sporting using a fly rod and natural forage imitation. Here's a picture of some algae imitations I tied:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
bonefishwhisperer

Post by bonefishwhisperer »

thats pretty good...seems maybe a carp might eat it as well...I have seen some really large mullet at times in the canals here...they are every bit as big as the bonefish...a 10lb mullet would give you a run for the money but I have never carried through with the threat of a corn fly or toast fly etc...please post if you have success with that because it sure could open up lots more chances for catching fish
Gen 9:2 "And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered." .... even God likes Dreads....
Silverspoon

Post by Silverspoon »

Did somebody say FISHFRY????? :D
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

When I was a kid growing up in S. Miami we'd target mullet in the fresh water canals with a small hook and a wad of green algae-slime pulled off the rocks. Worked great.

My son ties a fly that looks like a ficus berry and targets the big grass carp we have in the local canals here in Broward.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

I have heard some good stories of milkfish on fly. They are supposed to be one of the best fights out there. I hope to see pictures real soon.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
Uncle Ji

Post by Uncle Ji »

I live on a canal a mile up from the ocean and another mile upstream is a private 90 acre brackish water pond and on the far side of this are mud flats averaging about 2 feet in depth covered with a growth of seaweed and on these flats are schools of hundreds of Milkfish averaging 10 to 15 pounds. These fish graze on the seaweed all day with no pressure so they grow big, and plentiful. You can watch them tailing as they graze and it's a beautiful though frustrating site as they rarely bite anything besides the seaweed. I did used to catch them occasionally in my youth using white bread but my last attempts at this fail they ignoring my bread offering completely, very fickle they are. I am hoping my algae fly will do the trick and I shall certainly report any success. These Milkfish are even more feisty than Bonefish so should be a blast on fly tackle. :D
VFTG

Post by VFTG »

Uncle Ji,
What size hook are you using for those algae flies? It sure sound like fun catch mullet on the fly, I see huge schools of them almost every time I go out.
Victor

Why make a trillion when we could make... billions?
jdoc

Post by jdoc »

I caught a mullet a few years back on a #4 fly with a chartreuse Estaz body. I wasn't targeting mullet, but that's what bit. It was a good fight. You'de think a mullet would jump when fighting, but this guy just pulled and pulled.

I would imagine you would have some success with your flies.
Uncle Ji

Post by Uncle Ji »

VFTG wrote:Uncle Ji,
What size hook are you using for those algae flies? It sure sound like fun catch mullet on the fly, I see huge schools of them almost every time I go out.
I believe they are #6 size in a style known locally as a AH hook which is almost identical to your Kahle hook which should work just as well. I can't wait to give them a try though I just had major back surgery 3 months ago today so still a couple months away as far as paddling though casting straight off my backyard pier may be less of a wait.