How big a tackle box or bag do you take on your kayak?

mjrodney
Supporter 2012

How big a tackle box or bag do you take on your kayak?

Post by mjrodney »

I seem to vaccilate between packing a small worm bag that contains mostly a half dozen types of plastics......

Or a small bag that contains 2 utility boxes...one for hard baits and one for soft baits.

I'm curious, though, as to what you more accomplished fisherfolks carry on your kayak.

Anyone tote more tackle on the boat than I do? Or do you rely on less....just a few lures that you know to work somewhat consistantly? (Oh pray tell, what could they be!)

FWIW, I carry 3 rods. Normally loaded with a DOA shrimp, a jig or a crankbait, and a top water spook. The second rod is what sees changes in color or type of lure. The DOA shrimp and the topwater stay pretty much intact. I either use them, or I don't.
brokenarrowjbe

Post by brokenarrowjbe »

We are approaching nirvana on the tackle box. I carry a small plastic case w/several Gulp items, about a bags worth, an old mayo jar for a live well, keep the shrimp on ice in the soda/lunch cooler till needed, a couple of different size jih heads and several assorted hooks, and a cut in half sabiki rig for live pinfish as needed. It all fits in kitty litter box that has been repurposed, Tight lines, John
Shep

Post by Shep »

3 plano boxes. 2 large and 1 small.
2 rods. 1 with a weedless/ non weighted something or other, the other with a jig head or stick bait of some sort. Most likely a catch jr.
As I read further, you asked for this information from accomplished fishermen and women, so please, forget my post. :lol:
New place, new fishing adventures.
Chief1600

Post by Chief1600 »

Usually one bigger fly box with sometimes a smaller one filled with some new pattern I'm tying. If I go over to the dark side and take a spinning rod I'll add two or three small Plano boxes.
Jim - snooty elitist

"Of all pursuits mankind has devised to make you look stupid and uncoordinated, fly fishing is unquestionably number one." Jack Ohman, Fear of Fly Fishing
Blindmullet

Post by Blindmullet »

I bring a small Plano. I use a top water, jigheads and soft plastics. I'm cutting down in 09. I have nothing in my tankwell.
Team Pro Bass "Fishing Legendz"
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

Big ziplock bag with assorted plastics - why I don't know I use the same 2 lures 99% of the time
1 box with 10 different plugs. Why I don't know I use a spook jr. all the time for topwater.
0 0 1
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

Too many.
Why? Just in case of emergency fishing needs.

And like others, I tend to use only a few lures - Spook Jr., Mirrodine, Gulp, and a few soft plastics. However, I do prefer to have one of each on a different rod and ready to "launch." Five rods are perfect. Sick, but perfect for me so I don't have to bother changing out the lure in mid-fishing.
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!
Pmoconnor89

Post by Pmoconnor89 »

3 rods, one rigged with a topwater, one rigged with soft plastics on jigheads, and a third rigged with a spoon or bucktail jig or D.O.A. shrimp or terroreyz, depending on my mood.

To keep those in stock I carry a small old tupperware with 10-12 bags of soft plastics, and a small plano with 1-2 bucktails, a spoon, and 2-3 extra topwaters. I really dont like any extra clutter.
americanrobster

Post by americanrobster »

I use to carry an unorganized box with a few DOA shrimp, a gold spoon, and some liter and some hooks. I now have this nice Shimano tackle bag that my Dad got me for Christmas and I am slowly working my way to getting it organized with new tackle. I am far from accomplished, but I like to think that I'm getting somewhere LOL
seeinred

Post by seeinred »

I bring a small Shimano tackle bag with 5 small plano boxes in it, and a calcutta binder for all my soft plastics.

Never carry more than 3, but usually 2 rods, one popping rod for twitch baits and topwaters and one for jig use only. I always have either a spook jr. or sebile stick shad on my popping rod depending on the prevailing conditions and the fish. The other rod could have any number of different jig bodies/weedless hooks.
For more kayak fishing reports, tips, and fishing charters please visit;
http://tampabaykayakcharters.com/

Spencer
Tide1on

Post by Tide1on »

A bag with 4 plano 8" x 11" boxes, Boca grip, pliers and clippers. Also I carry a seperate smaller bag with most of my plastics. All that and I still have some that are left at home.

Steve
NATIVE Redfish14
Your Wallet - The one place Democrats are willing to drill

Steve

Post by 13 »

I would put a picture on here for you to see, but im lucky I even got my avatar to work, so I am just going to try my best to explain it....

I took a scotty gps mount and attached a basket I made out of pvc pipe to it, so that I could put a fly fishing bag with 3 small plano boxes in it, and have it out of the way. I have my pliers hanging from the bag, there's a couple pockets where I keep some soft plastics, and my grips hang right off the basket as well. I suppose it might not be the most professional looking set-up, but it works well for me. If anyone wants to send me a message and give me some info about getting pictures on my posts (as well as how to put a new picture on for my avatar), I would be glad to show you.
americanrobster

Post by americanrobster »

I will post a pic of my bag later tonight.
ratherbefishin

Post by ratherbefishin »

I'm curious, though, as to what you more accomplished fisherfolks carry on your kayak.
I don't know about those folks, but I use three rods. 1-Super Spook Jr., Mirrodine or Skitterwalk, depending on what I can see. 2-Jighead and soft tail, lately either CAL or 12 Fathom 3". 3-Something weedless, lately a 12 Fathom Slam R Texas rigged with tiny bullet weight.

For backup, I have one small (7" x 9") Plano box with a couple spoons, extra jigheads (MF 1/16 is mostly what I use), a few wormhooks, extra Mirrodine (always!) and a Chug Bug, Spook Jr. and MR7 Mirrolure. I have a canvas bag (can't remember where I found it) that carries a few bags of tails and a small container of Gulp shrimp.

Actually, this is about a third of what I use to carry and it still seems like alot sometimes. I am not very accomplished but I sure have a ball learning.
Curt

Well, hell, SOMEBODY has to catch lizardfish.
Blindmullet

Post by Blindmullet »

americanrobster wrote:I will post a pic of my bag later tonight.
Thanks for the warning.
Team Pro Bass "Fishing Legendz"
CooKnFish

Post by CooKnFish »

Paddles - they aren't just for the bedroom anymore.

~Mark~