Native14.5 Seat Riser

If you use one that is listed, please add a review. If a kayak or canoe that you would like to give a review of is not listed, please add it. This is also where you can show off your boat.
jdoc

Native14.5 Seat Riser

Post by jdoc »

I love my native ultimate, but wanted to figure out a way to raise the seat and get a better vantage point. Turns out, all it took was a rubber made step stool,some black paint, and a Native Watercraft sticker to get a great seat riser that looks factory made. :D

I turned the step stool upside down, bolted the Ultimate seat to the feet of the step stool. The finished product is awesome. It sildes forwards and backwards, just like the unmodified seat, and the Ultimate is more than stable enough to handle the higher center of gravity.

It gives me alot better vantage point for spoting fish, and actually makes for a drier more comfortable ride.

[img]F:\DCIM\100NCD80[/img]
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

There are quite a few options actually. The "block" that Native sells. There is a guy who has one made out of pvc.
A client of mine from Baltimore showed me how to rig up the 12 so that it pins to the top of the gunnel/rear flex bar

I'll send you a PM with a couple of other little comments
Last edited by LivelyBaits on Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
pee-dash-eff, "Desperate. H.W"
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

:shock:
Last edited by LivelyBaits on Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
americanrobster

Post by americanrobster »

Very cool. Getting in it must be a trick with that raised seat though.
jdoc

Photos Of the Seat Riser

Post by jdoc »

LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

Last edited by LivelyBaits on Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

X2
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
Rik

Post by Rik »

It's a linking issue with the Kodak site. I put the URLs in the post.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Shep

Post by Shep »

It's forbidden. :?
New place, new fishing adventures.
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

Last edited by LivelyBaits on Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

Wow! That is up there! I can see how it might make it more tippy with the center of gravity raised so high. Is it?
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
Uniform6

Post by Uniform6 »

I think the idea is to raise it up just a few extra inches but maybe he is looking for extra support for when he has the seat up on the sides so the pan doesn't flex?
jdoc

Post by jdoc »

My goal was to get the seat as high as possible and still lhave a stable ride. Although it is more tippy, the higher vantage point is well worth the minor loss is stability. I love to fly fish, and the higher seating position does help makes casting from teh kayak much easier.

I did make some cool outriggers. We tried them out last weekend, and they worked great. They fit into my pole holders, so they can be removed for transport.

I just sold my 17' Keywest center console, and with my rigged Ultimate, i don't miss the Keybest at all.

jandbrare

Outriggers

Post by jandbrare »

jdoc,

Those outriggers look really neat! What keeps them from rotating in the rod-holders? What are the floats made of? Sure would appreciate some more pictures.

As you can see, I have two rod holders just waiting for similar outriggers:

BTW, that Bass was eaten for supper. Normally, I release, but I wanted to show my wife my first decent Bass caught in my kayak, so I kept it.

Jerry
jdoc

Post by jdoc »

I'm already on my second generation of the outriggers. The picture shows the first generation which use boat bumpers for the outrigger floats.The second generation uses lobster buoys. I'll try to get some pictures posted of gen2. I used the 2nd generation last weekend, and they worked great. I stood up more than sat.

I use some 5/16 retaining pins to keep them from rotating, You can pick them up in the hardware section at home depot. I put the outriggers in the pole holders, positioned them exactley where I wanted them, and drilled the a5/16 hole through the rod holder and outrigger at the same time.

One thing I discovered is that it helps if you build the outrigger with the front slightly higher than the back. This helps them plane on the water, rather than plowing through it. I used a PVC "T" at the top, so I still have pole holders.

Check out the links for some more info.

BTW... Sweet Large Mounth.

http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/articl ... rticles=31

http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse.cfm/4,242.html
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

Last edited by LivelyBaits on Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.