Panuco River, Tamaulipas/Veracruz, Mexico State Line

Let's hear reports from other places.
mlamarca
Location: Apollo Beach, FL or Philadelphia, PA or Luanda, Angola

Panuco River, Tamaulipas/Veracruz, Mexico State Line

Post by mlamarca »

Don't do it.

I finally found someone to fish with who had rods and reels, instead of hand lines wrapped around soda bottles. We got to the river, and we went to rig up the poles, and he tells me he has no lead, but plenty of old spark plugs to use as weight. I guess it works.

The river was dirty, full of garbage, and the banks were piled up with the same. We caught two plastic bags, and two 4" catfish. I think we left about 6 spark plugs in the river due to snagging on whatever garbage was on the bottom.

This was my first experience fishing here in Tampico, and it scared me. I am going to try the beach in a couple weeks, but I will make sure I get to the tackle shop before then.

And I was told the place we went is the best in the River. It makes me sit back and be grateful for the state of the fisheries in Florida. This place was horrible. I do keep seeing ads for guided fishing trips in the lakes around here, but if the lakes are in the same condition as the River, I don't want to pay for that level of disappointment. At least the bottle of Scotch lasted the entire trip.
Can I retire yet?
1okbyme2

Post by 1okbyme2 »

Sorry you are disappointed there. :( Perhaps the beach will be better. :roll:
"They paved paradise and put up a parking lot" Joni Mitchell