Tarpon 140 vs Grand Slam

If you use one that is listed, please add a review. If a kayak or canoe that you would like to give a review of is not listed, please add it. This is also where you can show off your boat.
danew20

Tarpon 140 vs Grand Slam

Post by danew20 »

I was going with the 140 until I did more research and came accross the grand slam, now I am torn. I have done a lot of reading on the forum and think it has only made the decision tougher. I am looking for something with great fishability and easy to paddle. It will be used from the beach for tarpon to reds on the flats, and everything in between.

What are some suggestions, pros, cons, warrenties, accessories, etc. on each.

Here is what I have found so far.

140 / Grand Slam
Warrenty: Lifetime / 3 years
Hatches: front: Lockable and large (09'), not secured(08'-) / Straped down and moderatley sized
others: Medium (09') small (08'-) / Medium (stock) Large (angler)
Stealth: Sometimes had hull slap / Quiet
Tracking: Good but rudder is a bonus / Good (noticed that it is not molded to fit rudder like the tarpons are but one can be put on) also hear it sits high and the winds grabs hold of it easy
Price: Around same range on both
Storage: Good on both
Rear: Ample room for tackle & bait bucket / room for both as well, not sure how I like the small devide, could be good or bad
Stability: You can stand in one / Stable but unsure about standing

Thanks
Shep

Post by Shep »

Very happy with my T-140. Perfect fit for me. Does sit low so I do get a little wet in the chop, but I live in Florida, the water isn't really that cold. :wink:
New place, new fishing adventures.
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

JMO
To aid in your decision, find somewhere you can "road test" both. Your choice should be based on your opinions rather than others. Don't get me wrong, they also are very helpful since you are getting opinions based on different viewpoints, they can sometimes bring to light something you may have overlooked.
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
VFTG

Post by VFTG »

teamshaft3 wrote:JMO
To aid in your decision, find somewhere you can "road test" both. Your choice should be based on your opinions rather than others. Don't get me wrong, they also are very helpful since you are getting opinions based on different viewpoints, they can sometimes bring to light something you may have overlooked.
I have to agree, spend as much time paddling your choices as you can. If I had, I might not have bought my T120 because to me the seat back is very uncomfortable. I'm not sure what kayak I will get next, but I have been checking out the 14.5 Ultimate.
Victor

Why make a trillion when we could make... billions?
rolle2259

Post by rolle2259 »

Great year end prices on Grand Slam at MASTHEAD. Bought mine there several months ago and can vouch for the customer service.
Get r done
Paul
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Post by Paul »

I'm Paul with Masthead Enterprises - I'm an Emotion kayak dealer. I have not paddled the Tarpon 14, but I do have some experience with the grand slam. I'm going to outfit a grand slam for my personal use this year.

As stated before I have not paddled the Tarpon 140, but the WS Tarpon series is the fishing kayak that all others are compared too.

Has mentioned the Grand Slam is deadly quiet * see the picture of the bow wave

tracking - it tracks straight as an arrow - the Tarpon does sit a little lower in the water which reduces windage. The Grand slam is a dry kayak no water in the seat area. From my experience with my X-Factor buy a drift chute if you are getting blown around my the wind, it will help

You can add a rudder to the grand slam - personally I think rudders are mandatory on some kayaks and optional on others. It is person preference.

On the rear deck the small divider is a area designed to fit Plano tackle trays

Grand slam is super stable, not as stable as my x-factor (but what is) it would be an easy kayak to fish standing up in

I bet the tarpon is a hair lighter. Speed should be about the same

I prefer the comfort and adjustablity of a aftermark seat.

Last edited by Paul on Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Silvernail
"Pimpin' ain't easy....but it's neccessary"
danew20

Post by danew20 »

I guess I am going to have to water test both. I had a scupper pro a few years back and just want something that is comparable to the paddle, but more room and stability for fishing. I am sure I would be "happy" with both, but I dont want to get one and wonder if I should have went with the other.

Everything is give or take...wet/dry, rudder/no rudder, etc..

Thanks!
wilfish

Post by wilfish »

I stand up about 80% of the time in my Grand Slam, but I'm just 5'10 and 160lbs . Its seems like more and more people are going with the Grand Slam now . I love mine . That little space behind the seat is perfect for a soft side cooler or soft side livewell ,which I have both . It is super quite . Plus its very easy to paddle as you see the pics Thats my daughter paddling the GS Backwards. with my wife in it.
Don't steal... The Government does not like the competition
Redfisher

Post by Redfisher »

I really like my Grand Slam. The seat area drains out the scuppers and stays dry and I am a fat b@st@rd. I love how quiet it moves through the water. I bought the GS to replace my Redfish so I could actually use the front hatch and I also love the hatch in front of the seat. It is also super stable.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
redfish

Post by redfish »

I love my 140. I dont have any complaints at all. Tracks good,lots of storage, and its pretty fast. I woudent trade it for any kayak.....

Except a Hobie Revo lol
Amped Kayak Fishing and Southern Backwater on Facebook
Mercuryverado200 on Youtube
Wright Custom Rods
fishmaster892

Post by fishmaster892 »

Go for the Grand Slam its more stable.
Emotion Grand Slam Angler
Redfishn'Ale

Post by Redfishn'Ale »

the grand slam will paddle more efficiently, they are both pretty heavy, the grand slam has a more open deck, the tarpon has more hatches, bananas and apples, demo them if you can than decide.
pag_yaker

Post by pag_yaker »

I haven't paddled a T140 in quite sometime so I can't offer a relevant comparison. However, the room on the deck (and the center hatch) is a big deal for me. I got a basket from Dollar Tree and cut it to fit in the hatch .... works out pretty slick ...

Still, you'll never know which one works best until you give them a whirl and decide for yourself.
Jerry White
Contributing author for Paddling.net since 2005
Contributing author for Florida Sportsman Magazine
Member - Florida Outdoor Writers Association
redfish

Post by redfish »

Another thing about the Tarpon, is that the middle hatch dosent let water in like the Grand Slam.
Amped Kayak Fishing and Southern Backwater on Facebook
Mercuryverado200 on Youtube
Wright Custom Rods
pag_yaker

Post by pag_yaker »

I haven't had any issue with the center hatch on my Grand Slam leaking.
Jerry White
Contributing author for Paddling.net since 2005
Contributing author for Florida Sportsman Magazine
Member - Florida Outdoor Writers Association
JoseC

Post by JoseC »

pag_yaker wrote:I haven't had any issue with the center hatch on my Grand Slam leaking.
I have, but only when paddling in pouring rain or really choppy weather. A little silicone caulk took care of that problem though. I always wondered why they didnt seal that hatch, but it costs 4 dollars to fix and the hatch is a huge plus.

I really like the divide for the plano boxes, I got two waterproof plano boxes and it is much more convenient than storing them in a crate or tackle box. It holds the plano boxes in place very well. I can even fit two tackle boxes and a soft plastics binder in them. the only reason I still use a crate is because I have my rodholders attached to it. I keep my lifevest and water bottles in the crate.

You can stand and fish out of the grand slam without a problem, I feel very comfortable doing it even in deep water. The grand slam has an edge on the tarpon in terms of stability. The tarpon is a faster kayak though, if you are looking for speed then the tarpon is the way to go; if you want stability you will be more than happy with the grand slam.

as to the rudder, you can put a rudder on the grand slam, its molded and ready to install just like it is on tarpons, I put a OK big game rudder on mine and it works great.

Really what it comes down to is that they are both great kayaks, comparing apples and oranges, it just depends what you are looking for. IMO for a boat in the 14 foot range I would go with the grand slam. That descision is also influenced on the fact that I already have a tarpon 160. When I got the grand slam I was looking for something stable, comfortable that I could fish during average weather days and days where I paddled 3-5 miles. If I plan on doing more distance than that or if I am fishing on a windy day, I dont even hesitate to take my 160.

The grand slam is no slouch in the wind though, I was surprised about is how well the grand slam handled the wind when compared to its predecessor, the redfish 14. it is significantly less affected and is noticeably faster.

Hope this helps
Jose C

Hobie Revolution